Michael Sam Is Gay.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LawVol13, Feb 9, 2014.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm not being cryptic for fun, but I don't think it's my place to name names. My guess is that at least one of them will come out in the next couple of years

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chik-fil-a guy didn't exactly back down, but he did some damage control.

3. hatvol96

The Chick Fil A guy was protecting his brand. The whole "we're great Christians because we close on Sundays" act is a huge part of their success.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was shocked he didn't issue an apology and retraction immediately. I actually give him credit for that even if I think he's an idiot.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Oh, for sure, I wouldn't ask you to betray confidentiality. I was just noting that I will have an unwarranted curiosity on the matter.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I get that, but he didn't have to enter himself in the gay marriage debate if he didn't want to. I doubt anyone would stop eating there because he hasn't made a public denouncement of gay marriage.

7. hatvol96

It is, for better or worse, deemed newsworthy. Thus, I'm not sure you interest is really unwarranted.

8. hatvol96

Maybe, but the fact pretty much every location in the Bible Belt was packed out the door for the week after the announcement showed it certainly motivated their core customers.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That's how it should work.

I still lean towards most GMs choosing a reasonable alternative in order to avoid any potential issues, however unlikely or trivial (a player tweets something homophobic/a high-profile player or group of players have issues and go to management, creating friction/coaching staff is over-the-line insensitive and you end up in a 60 Minutes exposé).

I guess you can attribute a lot to fear of the unknown/inertia, but if there weren't tangible consequences, wouldn't this have happened sooner in practically any men's pro league?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

“Should I really care?” one GM said. “Is it going to be that big a deal? Aren’t we beyond this?”

“It’s not a shocking thing to me, and it won’t be to our organization,” another GM said. “You’ll have old-school guys on your team saying, ‘Are you kidding, putting this guy on our team?’ And you’ll have other guys say, ‘Who cares? I knew two gay guys who came out in college.’ ”

“It’ll totally depend on your leadership,” the scout said. “A team with strong leadership at coach and in the locker room, like New England, I would imagine, would be okay. I could see Belichick say, ‘This is the way it is. There’s no story.’ And guys would just accept him. There’d be no choice. But without that strong leadership, I could see it being divisive, and I could see a team saying, ‘We don’t need this.’ ”

We talked about it this week,” the GM said. “First of all, we don’t think he’s a very good player. The reality is he’s an overrated football player in our estimation. Second: He’s going to have expectations about where he should be drafted, and I think he’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to get drafted where he thinks he should. The question you will ask yourself, knowing your team, is, ‘How will drafting him affect your locker room?’ And I am sorry to say where we are at this point in time, I think it’s going to affect most locker rooms. A lot of guys will be uncomfortable. Ten years from now, fine. But today, I think being openly gay is a factor in the locker room.”

I asked this general manager: “Do you think he’ll be drafted?”

“No,” he said.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/09/michael-sam-monday-morning-quarterback/?eref=sihp

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

“The big factor here is that the initial storm will come now, and not after he’s drafted, like maybe he was trying to hide it,” one GM said. “That’s a big factor in his favor. Very big.”

12. hatvol96

That's just essentially one GM putting out the old "our organization is great and enlightened but some others are cavemen" puffery you hear all the time. I wouldn't take much from it.

13. hatvol96

Which is why timing this as he did was very smart on Sam's part.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I read it exactly the same way.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think he even really made a denouncement. I thought his comments were more benign than they were made out to be.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he gave what $10 mil to anti gay marriage groups? just not making an apology is a denouncement in that situation.

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Honestly, I never had a problem with his stance on gay marriage. It was no surprise as Cathy is a very religious man. The problem for me and I think the majority of gay folks were the charitable donations that went to SPLC designated hate groups. I believe Cathy and Chick-fil-A were to end those, though I have not looked into it recently.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The hate is what makes the chicken so juicy.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I had exactly the same reaction. Spending that kind of money on something like that suggests more than just a normal religious objection.