Michelle Obama's excessively large staff.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Jan 10, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Saying she didn't makes it wrong, which is what the original statement was.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

let's just agree it's a massive waste of money

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

No doubt, but that is part of my point that labeling the whole article false is misleading.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

That is the point. It is too bad those who pass these type of reports have to embellish them.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is, but it doesn't have to be.

Example: Laura Bush's reading programs were effective and a good use of those resources. It isn't that I don't think Michelle's healthy eating thing is a bad idea, it just isn't going to be effective in the current climate. I don't blame her for trying, but the execution was tone deaf. That was a waste.

"Massive waste of money" is probably an exaggeration, given we are talking about the first lady of a nation of over 300 million with trillion dollar budgets. I do agree it could probably be cut in half and no one on the outside would notice a difference.

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The First Lady is a public ambassador both domestically and internationally. It is part of the Presidential Office, no different than the cabinet positions, except she (or he for when we have a First Dude) has no power, except the normal power a spouse has.

To call it a massive waste of money is hyperbole and mongering at its worst. It is a single atom of water in a tub full of the stuff. I would equate it to complaining about the color of the wood stain on the deck chairs of the Titanic as it is taking on water.

EDIT: Yes, I understand the Cabinet is vetted by Congress. But they have real power, the First Lady is simply a Goodwill Ambassador. Do you want her to simply sit in the White house for 8 years or do what all First Ladies have done since the beginning of time?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Going to be interesting to have a First Man, whenever that inevitably occurs. Will change how we see the office I bet.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I have heard this rumor every election since 92, regardless of party.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's one massive waste among many.

11. NorrisAlan

2million a year is not massive, either. It is like saying lets balance the budget by dropping foreign aid.

Military + Entitlements + interest on debt is 80% of the damn budget.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The point is not about whether their respectve programs have been effective, it's the large number of people they have surrounded themselves with. To me it exemplifies the attitude of those who act like and want to be treated as royalty when they are supposed to be our servants. It shows they have no idea what it is like to be a common person.

13. NorrisAlan

The common person doesn't have to do the things the President and First Lady have to do, as well. And it isn't like they can go out to Joe's Barber Shop and get a haircut.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

How many times do you think it has been said, "oh that is just a drop in the bucket, it's only a few million, (billion, and soon to be trillion)? Our government is out of control when it comes to spending and growth of staff beyond need is one of the reasons. How many times does an agency say well we don't need as much next year so let's reduce our budget and not replace a few people? Never, they still ask for more and add more staff. You save money at home or in a business by watching the dollar or two you waste several times every day.

It doesn't take 24 people to get Michelle out of the house.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think it does seem excessive, at first look, but I also realize that I have no idea how busy the First Lady is or the responsibilities of the various assistants. I'm sure there is a shit ton of stuff she has to do.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think we have enough information to make that kind of determination. I don't know how much mail that office receives, requests, engagements, etc. It is the First Lady, so it isn't like she can just ignore these things. And she isn't royalty because this is an office that will be someone else's in about a year.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I haven't used the word massive in this regard, but the total waste in government is massive, and to not realize this is ignorance and apathy exemplified. What the hell does stain on deckchairs have to do with sinking? Not a valid simile. Spending way over need in each government office will lead to financial crises and the sinking of the economical ship.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I think anyone with any damn sense at all knows it does't take that many people to assist one person who has no official duties, and it sure doesn't take all that many to open the friggin mail. They have automated openers in the White House mailroom. They have form letters for each general type of letter with signature stamps. She isn't royalty by decree, but they all are treated like and live like they are. Do you deny they get royal treatment? I think you are smarter than that.

19. NorrisAlan

But why pick on small potatoes while there are far bigger fish to fry?

And, frankly, I want the Presidential Family to have a certain air about them. Carter tried to go the whole "plain folk" stuff and I think it lessens the office. Yes, the First Lady is not a publicly elected office, but 90% of the government is not elected, and they spend far more than she ever could.

To repair my simile:

Worrying about the cold you have while ignoring the cancer destroying your liver.

I am all for cleaning up government waste, but this seems to be chasing the wrong thing, imho.

Military spending.
    Social Security.
    Medicare.

But people don't want to mess with those.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well damn, I thought they farted, burped and took a shit just like me.