Microsoft to lay off 18,000 employees....

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Romney's fault IMO

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's a big deal and will ripple through the tech market, but it's good for MS and is mostly about Nokia, which clearly has issues and needs massive change.

4. VB refugee

VB refugee New Member

Maybe it because they have recently put out a crappy product.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but they still have many of the best products in the world. Consumer driven apps are quirky and somewhat unpredictable, but their commercial apps are still top of the charts. Their .Net, Sequel Server and Office platforms are behemoths. They'll probably also find a way to win with Azure.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They really been inefficiently staffed for years.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I didn't see anything in the link/article except that they were laying off 18000, but I'm sure that move will warrant the board multimillion dollar bonuses

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sarcasm? i doubt the board had anything to do with it.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

As long as the shareholders are happy they will be rewarded.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And even if they aren't.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I just wish sometimes the CEO's would stand up in front of the workers and say, I've done a shitty job running this company and I only think it is fair that I resign effective immediately. In addition, I will be returning all of the bonuses I have awarded myself over the years and I will forgo any severance packages I might be entitled to.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's only been the ceo for 5 months and this has nothing to do with him doing a shitty job. it's the fact they bought a cell phone company and they already have a cell phone division.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

stock is up 20 cents. bastards!

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yes, I understand that. I'm just sick of hearing about all these companies laying off all these workers for no other reason but to increase shareholder value by 15 cents a share

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm failing to see how laying off redudant employees is "no reason."

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Plus I'm not a big fan of all these corporations buying the competition and closing them down. Its not good for the consumer

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they bought nokia becuase they suck at the cell phone business. they were hardly motorola.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I consider myself to be pretty conservative, but when it comes to companies buying up the "little guys" it just irritates me a little. The idea that a company is eliminating the competition so it will the the only thing going is not good for us or keeping prices down.

I'm not for big government, but there ought to be a law

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Ok, so let the consumer put Nokia out of business.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is a law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law

and nokia is hardly a "little guy."