Mike Riley to Nebraska

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Dec 4, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Strange he takes that job after turning down Alabama and USC, among others, over the years . .

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's how you conduct a covert out of nowhere coaching search boys and girls.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

4. CardinalVol

It's also how you conduct a "will not make the fan base happy" coaching search.

5. NorrisAlan

Hiring a football coach in college is now something I would never want to do. Too much information, too much 24/7 coverage and you cannot make your fans happy, ever.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

plenty of Oregon state people wanted him gone too. he had a basic lifetime contract. $12 mil buyout, extension with every 6-6 or better season. seems like a strange hire. he's a good coach, but I don't think losing to div 1a teams in sept is going to fly in Lincoln.

7. NorrisAlan

Jesus, their AD makes Mike Hamilton look like a freaking miser. Where can I get a job like that?

8. CardinalVol

I honestly don't know much about him. I know his teams always seem to pull games out of their rear end they should never win occasionally, but then I look at the end of the year and they are 7-5 or so.

Also don't know much about what he was dealing with at Oregon State, so maybe he was doing best he can.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Nebraska twitter says riley will not coach the Oregon state bowl game. ummm you do realize they are 5-7 right?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

guy also always loses to someone shitty early in the year.

Oregon state is the 11th hardest school in the pac-12 to win at. he's never won more than 9 games there though. he's a good coach and the trajectory wasn't looking great. I kind of feel he's a tad washed up.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Out of nowhere.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

would be a great hire 7 years ago. not so much now.

13. CardinalVol

Forgot he was offered Bama in 03.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Riley has never recruited very well either.

15. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Hahahahahahahahaha

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's one of these guys, like jeff tedford, that everyone tells you how great he is and then you go look at the record and you think "I don't get it." winning at Oregon state isn't easy obviously, but as an example Erickson won 10 games there, something riley has never done. I'd be shocked to see him win big at Nebraska.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I think you mean second hardest.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Maybe he's new to binary.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

thank you.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I honestly think they downgraded.