Missouri players threaten to go on strike...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The rape culture on campus is way over blown. A traditional college age woman not in college actually has a greater chance of being raped.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just read that they are striking to support a student who is on hunger strike until the president is fired or steps down. The student claims he won't eat until the president resigns or he dies of hunger.

I know nothing about the issues behind his motive for doing this, but forcing the president to resign over this sounds like it would set an interesting precedent.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm way ahead of you, Indy. It's time for the 8th to go on a hunger strike.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Bet if the team didn't suck this wouldn't be happening

5. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

So, we'll have to end up playing against of unathletic white guys in a few weeks? How is this any different than the Iowa game last year?

6. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Of course it wouldn't be.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

A Mizzou player actually told ESPN that was the case.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gruden will be here before we know it.

Or we will all be dead. I guess it's good either way since we won't have to deal with Butch anymore.

9. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I could stand to lose about 30 lbs.

10. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Interesting that none of the media has pointed out that the guy who is hunger striking has been the man assembling the rallies and protest for all these different issues. Sounds like he is bouncing from issue to issue until he gets someone to listen....nobody cared about grad students or medical care, but use the hot button of racism and boom...

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I read through their list of demands and laughed at a couple of them.
    Having the students involved in living the next president is analogous to having the players on tier football team pick their next coach. If you're at that point is time to close the University down.
    What is a University supposed to do about the retention rate of students? They already want to keep these people here for their tuition money. If anything making me waste my dollars on diversity classes would make me leave campus.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm going to one up you, I will only eat bacon cheeseburgers and lasagna until our AD is cleaned out.

13. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Yep. Zero chance this would've happened either of the last two years.

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Faculty call for class walk-outs, stage a teach-in

Fox News

[ulr=http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/11/08/missouri-football-boycott-protest-gary-pinkel/75430526/]USA Today[/url]

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The president must have really ****ed up somewhere.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes, this stretched well beyond some racism.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah. This guy makes UT leadership look competent. This is just the straw that broke the camel's back and is also a good media story.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It will be an interesting precedent, to say the least. As will a group of players doing the same, themselves, or refusing to play in support of someone who does.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Pending Botch press conference: "tough to focus playing scabs. Eye discipline is so important playing those scabs and backups. I'm not going to apologize for coaching like we're playing cricket..."

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, there has to be more to this than what we're getting if players, undergrads, grad students, staff, and faculty are all saying this guy is unable to lead them. I don't know much about the situation other than reading that timeline. The timeline made everything seem disjointed, but perhaps there is some underlying thread that isn't getting explained in the media.

We've had some awful leadership at UT when I was there, but it never even came close to this because the governor and trustees would let it get this far (and it isn't like they were sharp, it was just... obvious).

Also, at this point this guy doesn't look like a public servant if he doesn't step down. It sounds like he has no support from any quarter.