Mizzou-Tenn Post Game Ten Points

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm going to try and resurrect the Hat Memorial Top Ten post game comments. I don't have to be the guy, but it should be done.

1. We are quite good. I won't say we are better than the '18-'19 team, but I think the ceiling is higher.

2. Pons may be the best defender ever to suit up in the orange. His on ball defense is solid, but his off ball defense is by far the best in Big Orange history.

3. I want to spend an extra point simply on the Pons block on Pinson in the open court since it is absolutely an amazing defensive play which will be underappreciated because he didn't throw the ball to the tenth row and scream. But, the level of body control and athleticism it took is other worldly.

4. The freshmen guards getting better offensively will get them more minutes and would be scary as hell for the rest of the league. Springer is more polished than Keon, but their defense is beyond their years. Springer isn't as explosive as Keon, however his physicality as a guard is going to be very tough for the opposition.

5. Vescovi is good for a few scary moments bringing the ball up a game and we won't have our true PG here until next year, but he has to be on the floor. He can make plays, shoot and is holding his own defensively with noticeably improved lateral quickness.

6. Bailey isn't a guy you want as a primary scorer, but I like his fearlessness and he is the one guy on the team who doesn't really have a long wind up on his outside shot.

7. Missouri is alright, tough defensively, limited offensively, and not having scorers to challenge this Vols defense is a death trap.

8. On the negative side, against a team with an inside presence, no Nkamhoua until garbage time. No interior depth means he has to be a valid option and it doesn't seem as if he's up to it, yet.

9. JJJ and Fulky were simply meh tonight and we still won by 20. JJJ is a guy who will be a very good player for us and be around for four years.

10. Where are the pitfalls for us in the SEC? Arkansas and LSU maybe, Kentucky if they ever figure out how to play together. Otherwise, Florida? No Keyonte Johnson is a tough deal for them. Auburn isn't very good and Texas A&M is not what they were billed to be, I think. This conference is ours to lose, in my opinion. I still want to see us play an elite team, but we are, at worst, a top ten team and should be top five come next Monday.

*Bonus - Pons, Johnson and Springer are our NBA guys who will stay on a roster beyond preseason on the next level.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We may not run the table, but there isn't a loss to pencil in either. Completely winnable schedule. The whole thing.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

love. it.

InVolNerable, CardinalVol and Unimane like this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m sure UK will play us tough, but I’m still holding out for 2 20-30 point victories.

A-Smith likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When I saw that Mizzou shot 28% from three on the year (which still amazes me considering their coach....but I digress), I knew we were in good shape.

Looking ahead at a few games -

Arkansas' big man is going to cause us trouble.

It's always tough at Florida.

State looked good last night, but they have a couple of ugly losses too so who the heck knows.

Kansas is Kansas.

We always struggle at Ole Miss.

Kentucky is Kentucky at Rupp. I'll never count that as a guaranteed win.

I hate the Vandy gym.

Pearl has had Barnes' number for years, and it's there.

Heck if I know about Georgia. If they are a normal Crean team, if they are lights out, they can give us fits.

We won't lose all those but we're gonna drop 3 or 4.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Arkansas seems pretty good. Most of the league just isn’t. I’m not sure how good Missouri really is.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Arkansas and LSU look like the two best other teams.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don’t think we will lose that many. The team can play a lot better once they get an offensive identity and they are already the second best team in the country.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

3.5 regular season losses? I'll take the under.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We will hit a wall and have a series of bad games. Freshmen will hit it harder than the older guys. And we are a pons/fulk injury from being a lesser threat.
    That said, my temp gets up during games for a different reason than football and Im gonna enjoy the ride. This team is as tight as any team we have had and i dig it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Two five stars coming off the bench. we are as deep as anyone.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Depends on the position. We’re absurdly deep on the wings, but not so much with the bigs

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Anosike has been very average.

sbradle4 likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

He is bound by gravity at about 6'5.
    Also always looks like hes about to ask a question

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I will too. But 4 losses from here to tournament time wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world to me. I'll go 15-3 conference and beat Kansas.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

hopefully Anosike will start finishing better, but he gets in there and leaves some bumps and bruises on people.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Anosike makes Charles Hathaway look like a great finisher around the basket. By the end of this season, Anosike might have the record of most missed layups for a Vol. Dude has zero touch.

sbradle4 likes this.
  18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I was just hoping he would be a rebounding machine and haven’t seen that so far.

19. Ssmiff

Hathaway used to come down to Green Hills Y games 20ish years ago. Very good run of games with some good at the time, current, and former college players when they were in town. Though he was the biggest dude by far, nobody wanted on his team because it meant 1 and done and 5 on 4 fast break every missed shot. Used to wonder if he had thumbs, because he played like he didn't

20. Ssmiff

he doesn't appear to have much sense of where the ball is coming off and can't elevate off the floor to go get it. Had no idea his sister had a better vertical