Mizzou Thoughts... Back to Earth

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 17, 2018.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

1. Don’t watch that tape. Burn it and go win against Vanderbilt.

2. I was completely wrong. Mizzou was a horrible matchup for us. The talent gap between the two teams was glaring from section T today.

3. Defending the RPO you have two options. Play some variations of zone coverages with your split safeties or put an extra man in the box and play man. Our defensive line doesn’t have a single player than can defeat a double team... so we had to play man on the back end. Without some hogs eating up gaps on the DLine, you’re asking too much out of MLBs to play run and pass simultaneously. Our secondary held their own at times, but also got out-athleted a few times. But the easiest way to defend the Up-tempo RPO is to establish a running game and keep them off the field.

4. Miscommunication is a problem with our secondary. We had a well-timed corner blitz on that Nigel Warrior never apparently got the memo and didn’t sky down to get the receiver. You can’t give Lock an easy pass and catch like that.

5. Alontae Taylor got my praise this past week. He got a dose of reality today. Took way too long to get out of his back pedal and without a few drops, he had a monumentally bad game. He’s still going to end up being a damn good corner when it’s all said and done.

6. For as bad as the offensive line is, the play calling is infinitely worse. I’ve tried to hold off on saying Tyson Helton was in over his head. His very clear that that’s where we are at.

7. Pruitt caught some grief from some of the morons I sat near and also some of the callers on a certain person’s call-in show for the onside kick call and for attempting to go for two before the delay of game penalty. Pruitt has established this is how he coaches. The onside kick should have been recovered and it was pretty damn obvious barring a turnover or 2 we weren’t going to be stopping Mizzou often. Strike while the iron is hot... and i see nothing wrong with his mindset or his calls.

8. It had no bearing on our loss. But that was one of the most poorly officiated games i have ever witnessed. Yet another black eye on SEC officiating.

9. We are seeing yet again what happens when you have MAC level talent that has been coached by MAC level coaches. Go do what UT does and beat the [uck fay] out of Vanderbilt and get extra practices by getting into a bowl game.

zehr27, Memtownvol and lol vol like this.
  2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Just want to add one other thing, the main reason we lost tonight was because IP was at the game.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Nah. Should have easily won. Just ask BOB

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Shit, can any of our DL beat one guy, much less a double team?

sbradle4 likes this.
  6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How about you just deal with it like a big boy?

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We learned that answer tonight.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think we vastly underestimated mizzou.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. BigOrangeBeech

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Ok, so I was wrong. Won’t be the last time. You knew this year was going to be shit.

Lock is good. Missouri is better on the lines than UT. I didn’t expect either of those things but it’s the truth.

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

It's hard to gauge this team.

Will Charlotte/Mizzou Vols show up at Vandy or will Auburn/Kentucky Vols?

Losing Calloway will really hurt but if our OL plays better we can cap out a win. On the same token I wouldn't be surprised if we come out flat as a pancake and get blown out by a mediocre Vandy team.

12. BigOrangeBeech

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah they’re a pretty talented team.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Or overestimated UT. Same result.

A-Smith likes this.
  15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Eh. They had a great game against UF, been pretty mediocre outside that. Should have lost to Vandy and did lose to UK.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Feels relevant here too.

Pruitt's post game comments:

Goes with

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

no. Looks like they were sumo wrestling. Mizzou OL is also massive

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

DL took the game over last week. Got totally worked today.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Helton has to get better and don't care if he's here or not next year. But we wont win much without a qb adjusting a call or calling a hot if he sees we are outnumbered or have the flat.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I do think this is a symptom of where we are as a team. We only really have the depth to do well against run teams.

We struggle against passing teams and balanced offenses due to an inconsistent pass rush, freshmen CBs and mediocre to horrible center field play.

NYY likes this.