Mizzou thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 2, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would like to report that wearing orange and white at Disney is a wholeot more fun after scoring 62 and the UT fan swagger is at 100.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He'll just call them both Devrin

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Ubben in his SEC roundup basically said “let’s no pretend Tennessee’s offense is elite, Missouri’s D is that bad.” He did say that Tennessee had an elite scheme. Which, to be honest, is fair enough. Our scheme is good, our execution is average. This week was the best it’s been, but the opponent had a lot to do with that.

4. Ssmiff

We don't need to be reminded that mizzou sucks. Scoring on every drive is hard to do in practice much less a game. Running for 460 is good no matter what. We were also underdogs. Maybe other people need to quit worrying about how we look at coaches, wins, etc
    Skill players in open space or good matchup has happened about every drive of every game it seems and I expect it to continue

TDVol1989, Memtownvol and OneForVol like this.
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I mean am I ready to crown us elite? No. But we had an elite performance. Mizzou sucks, but we executed dramatically better than we did against Bowling Green or Tennessee Tech, and they suck too. Our offense isn’t going to do this every week, because you don’t play mistake-free ball every week, but it’s a sign and a building block.

6. Ssmiff

Its better than the shit we've been watching for awhile

OneForVol likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

it was the first time we had the same starter for 3 consecutive weeks. it may be the start of a trend rather than a full aberration

justingroves likes this.
  8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Missouri did suck, but I don't know if they were as bad as the scoreboard showed. It was a perfect storm of better execution meets underperformance. I seriously think that Missouri team thought they were going to boat race them, and they basically got caught looking.

I did get a kick out of them firing the D-line coach. Sheesh, I know it wasn't just for that game, but if it was, fire the O line coach too. They got whipped up front all day long. The game wasn't as close as the scoreboard, and that's saying something.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

the d line coach didn't call a play with 3 down lineman and 8 other guys 5 yards back in the middle of a game where the other team had well over 200 yards rushing on them before half. the execution sucked but so did the x's and o's. no way the roster is as bad as the score.

justingroves and warhammer like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, there's been wide ass open receivers nearly every snap since the first play against BGSU. A comfortable qb can hit a lot of them

11. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Dorkwitz essentially scrapped his whole defensive playbook to put in a 3-3-5 scheme just for us. Not surprisingly, they executed their new thrown together defense like donkey balls

12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I know we are one to talk with how slow our recruiting is at the moment, but for the life of me I can't figure out how anyone with options would ever elect to play college football at Missouri. No true SEC-like enthusiasm supporting the place. At least Kentucky cares about their cruddy program despite having no history of success. There is scant evidence that Mizzou can ever become a destination college football program. It's the coldest campus in the SEC and you play in a glorified Texas high school stadium where 25% of it is covered with rocks. I just don't get the appeal at all.

Wish we would have swapped out Mizzou for a more interesting school like WVU, UNC, VaTech, ect. Granted if this is the beginning of a dark slide for Mizzou into the abyss, we will take all the automatic SEC wins we can get going forward at this point.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Memtownvol, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

even if you normally ran a 335, why would you stay in 335 stack as your base while getting destroyed on the ground? you would get more than 3 on the los. still an x's and o's problem more than execution. imo, and I am not a football guru.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

One doesn't have to understand football sophistically to see that Mizzou wasn't even firing off the snap hard after the first two drives of the game. There was no sense of urgency and fight in them. An old coaching saying is " they were just going through the motions". They flat out quit. I can't recall an SEC team we played that just gave up like they did Saturday on defense. They are lucky we didn't put up 80.

15. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Really hope Kentucky pulls off a Same Ol' Kentucky and drops their next 3 games before we go up there. If that happened, their atmosphere would dampen a bit, especially with basketball season tipping off.

If they're 7-1 with just a loss to UGA, we'll be walking into a pretty raucous environment

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah but that would make it that much sweeter, ruining another breakout season and really making Stoops think about whether he's hit the ceiling at UK.

Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’d be concerned about where we were headed under Drinkwitz if I was a Missouri fan. Getting the shit beat out of you can happen, but when it looks like that getting the shit beat out of you is just a symptom

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would rather they be undefeated and Tennessee just scores at will on them

Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If they did somehow get to 8-0, it would be the loudest crowd in their history. They'd be playing to clinch Atlanta.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have a feeling they're about to start dropping games

NorrisAlan likes this.