MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, growing up in northern middle Tennessee I could listen to all the Cardinals games on the radio. My great grandfather was a huge Cardinals fan. Tell me about your Atlanta ties

I'm sorry the Braves disappointed you again.

Also, hat is a Cincinnati fan and I think he enjoys skyline chili, I can't do that

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hated all sports after the UK game, but Atlanta choking made me smile

3. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Living most of my life in metro ATL actually going to games. Radio sounds cool though. I forgot the Cardinals existed this year.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm sorry for your loss.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

For the record, I have zero connection to Atlanta and started cheering for them as a little kid because they were always on TV and they were winning. I was a bandwagon little shit, but have stuck around and endured two decades of suck.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

kindly gfy

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this should be enough reason to root against them

[​IMG]

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I guess they can piggyback with the problematic mascot support group now.

Anyways, some teams actually had to earn their playoff spot and weren't just birthrighted in with unplayed games.

The Dodgers sole function in baseball is to eat the Red Sox' albatross contracts. I guess it finally paid off by getting Mookie attached to David Price. Congrats on leveraging the massive budget advantage.

It's a miracle the Braves even made it to the playoffs with what ended up as their rotation. 75 combined career starts by the starting pitchers in the NLCS, but 50 are Fried, so 25 for the other 4.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Braves fans salty today.

I've even seen some bash Swanson AND Acuna the last few days.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It pains me to get any enjoyment out of Swanson doing anything positive for Atlanta because he's a [itch bay] from Vanderbilt. Situations like that are why I don't follow any NFL/NBA team, but it's usually not as big of a problem in baseball.

justingroves likes this.
  12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Acuna has had a wrist problem off and on for most of the year, and that was before whichever dickhead Marlin hit him with 98 in the DS. I'd give him benefit of the doubt that that was why he had a bad NLCS, and once again, awful timing, just like Freeman's elbow issues for last year's NLDS.

I guess Swanson for the rundown double play? Other than that, that's who he is, .260/15/good defense at SS. The other baserunning stuff, while bad, is I think overblown. If Ozuna tags properly, the throw was pretty close to getting him anyways, so I'm not sure he scores. And Albies was out of the baseline on the not touching first play. Not sure if they just didn't call it because they didn't need to, but I bet it would have gotten called after a challenge.

Salt aside, I'd say the Dodgers won the series more than the Braves losing it. Although I knew they wouldn't win a Game 7. The differences:
    Seager with the best week of his life
    Mookie's key defensive plays
    Bottom of the Dodgers' lineup had more competitive ABs, and there wasn't really a hole for the Braves to have an easy inning

A-Smith likes this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Losing Duvall really made the back end of our lineup soft.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

What I'm about to say is kind of analogous to blaming the victim, but I really wish Acuna would tone it down a notch with the demonstrative stuff. Maybe find the second most celebratory player in baseball, and try to benchmark to that. Teams really hate him, he's going to keep getting thrown at, and he's too good to be missing time. It pisses me off that I am typing that, but it sure would be nice to keep him healthy and not worry about that.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    dknash likes this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

whole team could dial it down a notch

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

[uck fay] that. It’s baseball. It should be fun. Have fun doing it. Go crazy.

The “unwritten rules” and “dial it down” people and/or teams should perhaps encourage their team and/or try harder to keep the other team from having a reason to celebrate.

utvol0427 and JudgmentVol like this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm fine with that, but don't complain that people don't like you then.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Do whatever you want. Just don't be upset when a guy that can throw 100 mph takes exception to it.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That guy should throw it 102 next time and maybe he’ll get the out.

Hitting your opponent because they got the better of you is a [itch bay] move.

InVolNerable, utvol0427 and A-Smith like this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yep.

If you hit a 400'+ bomb, flip the bat and take walk towards first as you are watching the ball. If you are pitching out of your mind and sitting guys down, go full Bauer.

No need to get in your feels and start pitching at people.