MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

It’s time to start asking if Chip Caray has cursed the franchise.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nah, this is just years worth of an egotistical gem not listening and getting rid of everyone who doesn’t agree with him coming home to roost. Close to declaring aTampa Bay bandwagon fandom for the year.

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Mets spent half a billion dollars to be below .500 and 7 games out

InVolNerable likes this.
  4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Got Arcia back from IL today, that helps

5. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Braves tried that with his brother once. But only once

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

As much as I love a good Mets chuckle, it is a very long season. Too early to be spiking the football or grave dancing just yet. This time last year the Mets had already clinched the East. And just two years ago the eventual World Champion ATL Braves didn't crest over .500 for the first time until mid August. Baseball has a funny way of sorting everything out in the long haul.

7. yont sum iss?

I think it’s the Phillies that will be there making a push at the end. If not for the division at least the wild card. They have horses that I just don’t see on that Mets roster.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It would not stun me if either/both the Mets or Phillies ultimately pose a problem for the Braves chances of 6-peating a division crown. I think you may be correct on the Phillies ultimately representing a greater threat to the Braves this year than this year's version of the Mets. Stuff like the Mets losing their closer in the WBC was beyond massive for them. However, the Balmer Mets seem like a fundamentally different animal than the Wilpon Mets. Balmer isn't here to screw around. Dude seemingly will do/spend whatever it takes to build a bonafide winner going forward.

As good as the Braves season has started overall I think there are plenty of concerning cracks in the Braves proverbial armor. The bottom of our order is weak af. We don't have an above average/solid SS anymore. We can't figure out consistently what to do with our last OF spot. Ozuna is a liability in the truest sense. Riley/Olson are heart of the lineup hitters-who unlike someone as great as Freeman-that are prone to brutally prolonged slumps occasionally. The bullpen still isn't exactly an upper echelon MLB bullpen. Key, season ending injuries will inevitably occur at some point. Plus ATL hasn't played the meaty part of their schedule thus far. Lots of ball to be hashed out still.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  9. yont sum iss?

I disagree about SS. Arcia is pretty damn good. And bottom of the order is fine. Bullpen definitely worries me.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Aricia is a leap down from Swanson. Agree to disagree on the bottom of the lineup. I don't think the nightly production from our 7-9 in our order is anything to be satisfied about. Especially when you factor in how streaky Olson/Riley can be. Thus increasing our dependency on the bottom portion of the lineup to pull their fair share of the weight over the course of a 162 game marathon. And yes, the bullpen is worrying indeed. As it has been for the last few years now it seems under these Snitker era Braves teams.

And granted this is a good problem to have, but what do you do about Travis D'arnaud now? Seems impossible to be able to justify the idea of shelving Sean Murphy as your main starting catcher the way he has been playing both offensively and defensively. Assuming Murphy does not suffer a season ending injury anytime soon I think the only potential spot for D'arnaud on a daily basis to contribute is using him to potentially replace Ozuna/whoever is in the DH spot. Otherwise it might not be the worst idea ever to see what kind of trade value he could bring come deadline time.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Don't get me wrong though: Braves are good. Best record in the NL so far because they are well...damn solid. Just saying it's a long season. It's way too premature to be making proclamations how this season will shake out. It's the first week in May. The grind that is an MLB season is still in the infancy stage so far. September is an eternity away relative to where we are now.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

14. CardinalVol

Two in a row! I'm already making October plans!

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The Cubs are not serious people.

17. CardinalVol

Worst season in 50 years?

Fanbase wants to tar and feather every person from the organization from the owner to the newest concession worker?

No problem, just play the Cubs to turn your season around.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The whole division is bad.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

Literally the only reason I've not written off all hope. 85 wins may win the thing.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Fried injured. Starters dropping like flies. I look for the Braves to struggle a little over the next few weeks. Not that the Mets are much to worry about.

Just saw this on Twitter. Since 1990 the Braves have won more NL West division titles than the Mets have won NL East division titles. (3-2)