MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, the market is insane in MLB right now. Do I think he's worth 30M alone? No. Based on the current FA market........no, but understand it more. Still think the Padres end up regretting this one. Hope the young guys are read to go in first 3 to 4 years of this contract anyway.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Those 4 guys combined for a 7 WAR last year. Machado was a 5.7 WAR alone.

Of course then we have to figure out which 4 guys we’re going to get rid of and deduct their combined WAR from the combined WAR of the 4 guys we’re replacing them with, because, let’s remember, 25-man rosters. My guess is you’d end up with leads than 5.7.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Also, in 6 seasons, Puig is a career 18.6 WAR. For comparison, Machado is a career 33.8 WAR in 7 seasons.

So they’re not close.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’ll definitely be a bad contract towards the end. But unless the young guys are all massive busts, they’ll be good by 2021 or earlier, IMO.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Not sure WAR is the end-all, be-all of measuring a player, but that's a different discussion. I gave the numbers I think are relevant, and the distance is not that great. Machado's are better.

I also have to wonder a little why, if this deal was so wonderful, there weren't teams standing in line to make it, and why Harper, whose average, RBIs, and HRs (but not WAR) are all slightly better, is still shopping.

It's a huge gamble to put so much of your available resources in one player, and unless you are on the verge of winning something and think it can push you over the edge, I don't like it.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I get the concept of WAR. What I never got is what sets the baseline

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Doesn't WAR go against position averages?

8. cotton

Not average. It's based on plugging somebody in that isn't very good, the computerized version of "ghostman on 3rd."

9. cotton

Harper to Padres' too?

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...yce-harper-signing/1nauibvvn2eyx1ck7232dfezl6

"The ink has barely dried on Manny Machado's record 10-year, $300 million contract — the Padres and Machado made it official Thursday — but the team still has salary space to add Harper. It was reported Wednesday Harper has turned down several deals in the $300-million range. If the Padres are still a bidder, their offer would likely need to be higher."

Everybody else is playing checkers. They are either playing chess or ping pong by themselves.

10. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Kershaw out indefinitely

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pitch clock thoughts? Is there a hitter clock? If batter can wait until 3 or 4 seconds to jump in the box its gonna be awkward. Hitters preswing routines take up as much time as hitters and i hate pitchers. Used to try and fire it back at you with all my might.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Harper to Philly

13 years/330M, no opt out, 25.3M average.

I can get behind the yearly average but man that's a long time.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah I’m not sad to see that on somebody else’s hands

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I am. There’s not a team in MLB that can’t afford to pay him that and I wish mine was.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

I don’t think he’s worth it. Not for what he’s done thus far.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t either. I think he’s worth more.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I think he’s overhyped and overrated

19. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He’s certainly better than *checks notes*

*checks them again*

...Daniel Descalso.

Or any other FA signed this offseason not named Manny Machado.

I’m also not the least bit concerned with the financial stabitly of a billionaire(s). The Cubs revenue from Wrigleyville alone could pay off his deal in 5 seasons.