MLS as popular as MLB with American children

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Don't worry, Jay, you'll come around some day.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I can get this. I could buy soccer in general being as popular as MLB but MLS is pretty sorry when compared to Euro leagues. Will also say this, I fully plan on attending an MLS game when Atlanta gets their team in 2017.

3. GahLee

Pacific Northwest MLS fans are rabid.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not overly convinced this will translate to fan hood in adulthood

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

While that may be true, my point is that baseball could really clean up if they marketed their fantasy game the way football does. It's the perfect fantasy game and given the choice id take a baseball league over football any day.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's a demographic I prolly has as much in common with as an Iranian.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Neither am I. But unlike most here, I hope it does.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The Naked Gun

9. GahLee

Nah. Fantasy baseball takes way too much effort. 162 games is ridiculous to try and keep up.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You can put in as much as little effort into it as you wish. It's the variables of baseball that allow it to be a better fantasy game.

11. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Baseball needs to knock 30 games off the schedule

12. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Went to the park this week and 10-12 neighborhood kids in the early teens were there. In my day we'd be playing one of the three major sports. They were playing a soccer.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It never has before. AYSO type programs get bigger every year and the MLS is still as relevant as the WNBA. It's simply shitty soccer. They'll never have the best players, so I have zero reason to watch.

14. hatvol96

So? A hell of a lot more kids are playing video games than soccer. Is Major League Halo the next big thing? There is little to no correlation between what a 12 year old likes and what an adult spends their money and time on.

15. hatvol96

A demographic that fits my earlier characterization of MLS fans perfectly.

16. hatvol96

The MLS isn't "the sport." It's a shitty facsimile.

17. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Might be. Could you imagine MLH being played in Cowboys stadium on that giant screen? Bet it'd sell out. The Cowboys sure as heck ain't doing anything productive with it.

Not saying that MLS is going to be great. I was simply making a statement about soccer in general. If the kids are playing soccer when their 12-18 then they are going to be more likely to develop an affinity for the sport. They aren't suddenly going to not like soccer when they become an adult. Will MLS replace Euro leagues? No. Will it carve out a solid niche? Probably. Much like Arena League Football has a place in the sports landscape. Also if baseball doesn't move to fix some of its issues, it could fall behind soccer in general.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Interesting you say that because my wife's nephew was telling me he learned the rules of soccer simply because he enjoyed playing FIFA on his play station.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kids have been playing soccer more than any other youth sport for at least a generation and it hasn't helped the sport.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Not that I think it is but didn't CoD get into the X-Games this year?