Modern Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 18, 2016.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And those entitlements piss me off.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah. Mine tripled in a year. That wasn't typical.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Similar for me. Increases over past few years have been <5% with a decrease mixed in. I've been fortunate.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Then find a new policy.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Actually I did. Was forced to do so, despite being promised repeatedly such action would not be necessary.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

How on earth? Do I presume the benefits changed?

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

My benefits and cost haven't changed over the last 3 years. Our company is self insured and has been eating the increased cost, sounds like is going to change next year though.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have an insurance license. All the policies went up significantly

9. gcbvol

I couldn't remember the details so I had to go back and research. Benefits didn't change but the company implemented a 'blueprint for wellness' program in 2013. Basically, the company asks us to get a wellness screening/mini physical which they cover. If we complete it in the requested period we receive a $150 annual credit. That's why cost dropped between 2012 and 2013. Insurance has increased ~$33/year since then.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Oh, I thought it was easy to find something new if you didn't like what you had. That's what the Republicans tell me to do.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We also have a wellness program, plus a gym in the building and a cafeteria that focuses on "healthy" eating.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It was easy before Obamacare

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Maybe you're not getting the Monopoly that our current sitting idiot exacerbated.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

EpiPen price skyrockets 700% over the last 7 years (if I am not mistaken).

Why?

15. gcbvol

Rhetorical?

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Because they can.

Congress will bluster and may shame them into some minor and/or temporary concession, but ultimately, won't be able to do a damned thing about it, absent a law. And good luck getting that law signed. Hell, even proposed.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You can get syringes and ampules for next to nothing. Probably don't want to be trying to draw it up if you are going into shock, though.

18. NorrisAlan

Exactly. But I am sure it is not related to the CEO's 671% pay raise.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because the worship of the free market is not the same as actually having a free market. It's all bait and switch. They own the very premise of the epi-pen, a decades-old technology, and are exploiting a true monopoly on the life-saving and necessary product.

Some will say they need to increase the price 10 fold over a decade to pay for researching new drugs. Those people are wrong, much of the research that actually leads to successful drugs takes place with state and federal money in universities and institutions, and even then one can look at the most egregious inflaters of price and see the lack of any truly innovative products following.

At this point, it is morbidly fascinating to see how ridiculous pharmaceuticals and medical care expenses have to get before the majority of people demand serious reform.

20. NorrisAlan

Is your question rhetorical? :)