Money Investments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Jul 30, 2019.

1. cpninja

cpninja Member

Got to diversify a little bit there. Pick up some baseball cards and old comic books for good measure IMO

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Same.

3. CardinalVol

I'm opening up to the concepts of cryptocurrency.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I still worry that that stuff is just a big pyramid scam used for laundering money and eventually the government is going to regulate the ever loving hell out of it.

5. CardinalVol

It is to some extent, and they will. But in the meantime you can make a return on it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

cryptocurrency is awful for the future. It's a dead end in terms of ever-increasing demand for energy and resources to create abstract products with no real world value. Like tulips, but imaginary tulips.

7. CardinalVol

So standard investment product then?

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'm looking pretty hard at real estate. REIT specifically.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well a standard product is tied to some industry or production. Cryptocurrency is tied to just churning out increasingly complex calculations tied to nothing at all.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. GahLee

Yeah, that sounds problematic for me as well. I dont want to be a rent collector.

11. GahLee

I looked in to them. Seems solid. P2P loaning is also an option.

12. GahLee

I have no idea what backs it. Anything? When initially started looking at investing some time in the last 15 months bitcoin was about 3k, few weeks ago it hit 13k.

Why and how? I have no idea.

13. CardinalVol

It's like the more complex financial stuff in that you aren't really sure what is, if anything, is behind it's value.

Then again, I'm convinced the entire world economy is one big ponzi scheme anyway.

IP, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It all only works because people believes it does.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The problem I see with crypto vs other investments is that the US Treasury is within its rights to issue a US backed crypto, should that become necessary.

They can't issue Amazon stock.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. CardinalVol

True. But until the banks decide they are ok with it and start applying pressure, it's not going to happen.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Crypto always seemed like monopoly money to me.

18. GahLee

Stock market seems too risky to make my initial investment. Land is land and it may depreciate in value but it's there no matter what. An REIT seems rock solid, just with slow and steady returns.

19. GahLee

When it is widely accepted as a payment method I suppose I will take it seriously. By then of course it will cost too much to even think about investing. It's already there for guys like me.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I kick myself with my good bad leg for not trying to get a couple downtown condos when they were auctioning off years ago. Would have been paid off and rented as airbnb by now for UBS or other corporations to use vs a hotel for their corp travelers. Just pay me a monthly fee plus cleaning and its yours.
    Problem was I had like $750 left in my account at the wrong time.