Money Investments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Jul 30, 2019.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I just do 75/15/10 S&P, Small Caps, and International ETFs and don't touch it for my main accounts. I might YOLO some interesting trades in a small play pot.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Over the long term the stock market is your safest investment

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A good friend of mine bought three condos in the Gulch, total spent around $320k. He sold each one for around $350 each.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dog training and fishing, most likely

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not saying you can't make money. But you can lose money too. It's a super volatile currency tied to ever-increasing amounts of computer power necessary to continue solving the blockchain. What drives its swings is probably market manipulation by early adopters holding large stakes, and possibly (probably) organized crime. I know someone who has made a LOT of money on it. And technically they have also lost a lot of money. There's no rhyme or reason to the volatility, so you are essentially buying lottery tickets that just don't have a set draw date. Good luck.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It works because we believe it works. And if we stop believing it works, it doesn't work anymore.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Man, if you bought a house last fall you paid about 5%, now it is 3.75%. Fed just cut the rate and may do it again before the year is out. Not sure mortgage rates will drop any lower but that is a hefty difference given the short amount of time.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've still got a 30 year fixed at 3.5% from 2012. Well Fargo is losing money on me.

justingroves likes this.
  9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Nice. We were looking to buy last year but were quoted a 5.25% rate. Last time we went about 2 months ago we were quoted 4.25%. We aren't buying until early to mid 2020 and should be able to get a rate below 4% with no problem at all.

At our price point that adds up to about a $75,000 difference in interest paid over the life of the loan.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We’re about to pay our house and farm off this month.

I’m not going to miss seeing how
    Much they were taking on interest

justingroves, Ssmiff and GahLee like this.
  11. CardinalVol

We're still paying our off early.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

3 years ago we went to a 15 yr at 2.875%. I know a guy who got a 2% 15 year back in 2009.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I don't gotta dance,
    I make money move

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

REITs are plenty risky. just buy the VTI and set it and forget it.

15. CardinalVol

If you diversify well, the market is insanely low risk over time. You just have to accept that we're gonna have bear markets and the bottom is gonna fall out but it'll rebound.

justingroves likes this.
  16. CardinalVol

2%

Insane.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Understand that’s when the hay is really put in the barn and you’re getting a massive sale.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I had to go through farm credit and didn’t get close to getting a rate like that but maybe that’s due to them knowing traditional lenders don’t like giving loans with a lot of acres involved.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i bet the next recession is much less severe then the last one.

20. CardinalVol