Morning Practice Notes 8/16

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Aug 16, 2014.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Bates played w/ 1's.

Mosley didn't start at CB today, Michael Williams did.

Blair had more reps with 1's at LT.

Creamer looked good at TE after making the switch from LB. Had "smooth" hands.

VIDEO:
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/103589006

All the QB's are throwing with more confidence since the starter was announced. All were extremely accurate and poised in the pocket. -RTI

Maggitt is out of his boot, but didn't practice.

Jones played the Swiper Boy song "Eric Berry" today in practice.

Moments later Gillespie was all over freshman Jalen Hurd like a cheap suit after Hurd wandered too wide on a swing-pass drill, meandering well outside an intern waiting to belt him with a blocking pad. Forced to run the drill again, Hurd did much better this time. Still, Gillespie followed him for 15 yards barking at him. Clearly, the coaching staff is pushing Hurd to be ready to play a key role in Game 1. -Danny Parker

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Blair is in shape and Jashon is allowing Kerbyson to move back to rt, the ol looks a lot better

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope Creamer is allowed to settle into one position.

4. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

A walk-on and former walk-on working in the starting secondary. Oh boy.

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Michael Williams - wtf had to google em.

6. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

He's the brother of Paul Harris. Track guy that came over to give football a shot. He's fast, but it doesn't sound so good if he's running with the starting D. I've heard nothing about him until today as far as football goes. 3 star out of high school. Hopefully he is better than what we have been dealing with the past few years. Like Jaron Tony, and others.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I was starting to wonder if this was an option since his emergence. Hope it works out.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

presumably if he starts at CB2 it will mean he is at the very least better than Justin Coleman, who has started there the last two years. Or was it three?

9. Tar Volon

Is Kerbyson a more natural guard or tackle? I can never keep it straight. Is it that he's a more natural guard, but that we have more issues at tackle, and he's competent at both?

10. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

True, but I believe Coleman had been playing nickel mostly, with Moseley pushing for the starting job. He's had his share of playing time though. He split starts with Anthony Anderson in 2011, so it's closer to 3. We probably shouldn't read too much into it yet anyway. It could just be Butch trying to send Moseley a message, or maybe Williams is better than I'm thinking. Like I said, I really don't know enough about Williams the football player, other than Maryland recruited him.

11. Tar Volon

Right. I'm not exactly penciling him in because he started one practice there. I'm just anti-doom and gloom in the secondary. We return everyone except Toney. We get a whole bunch of new talent. Everybody who was previously here is a year further removed from Dooley. Nowhere to go but up.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Swain loved his practice mentality last season.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I called this a couple months ago.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Good at both, probably best at guard

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch loves him too.