Movies I Just Don't Get

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Oct 20, 2015.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I loved Mud.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

natural is a great cautionary tale that ***** always wins. loved that movie as a kid, but inexcusable how this guy lets one [itch bay] ruin his life for 20 years or whatever.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes the "lets educate the masses with film" garbage makes me want to kill someone.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Great movie about childhood in the South.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Let's write a really sappy story that makes as many pop culture references as possible. People will love us!

I mean, it worked, but it doesn't make it good.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't really think it's about educating the masses. More like nostalgia for our country's adolescence as well as humor that he keeps showing up at all those places.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I've struggled to complete the last two Anderson films, and they have been his most critically acclaimed. He jumped the shark with The Life Aquatic, tried to be too lazily cute with a wafer-thin Darjeeling Limited, and for anyone who saw his earlier works, it's obvious that Moonrise Kingdom was just him trying to win back some of the sizable favor he lost in Aquatic. The Grand Budapest is full-blown commercial shit. It's like he tried to make a movie version of Friends, but even worse. Didn't even watch Fantastic Mr. Fox.

So, jokes on you.

Mallrats is about a strong 3-4, nothing more. Outside of Clerks, Kevin Smith has always underwhelmed, save a few scenes in every other movie or so.

I've never seen Princess Bride.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think kevin smith is a royal douchebag too.

princess bride is fine. nothing special.

9. Tenacious D

He had it in the palm of his hand with Waterboy and the like, and then he decided to be someone else, entirely.

Funny story about Sandler, though, he's worth like $300M - more than Eddie Murphy.

10. Tenacious D

How have you not fallen for a Star Trek / War movie, as sci fi fan?

11. Tenacious D

I really, really don't. I can't suspend whatever is required to even watch sci-fi stuff and the like.

12. Tenacious D

That was good for what it was. It was about 3, and didn't try to hide it.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

waterboy, billy Madison, wedding singer, and happy Gilmore are good movies. not great or anything. grown ups was terrible

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

deciding what isn't realistic is a huge part of the enjoyment of scifi for me.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Happy and Billy are two of my favorites.

16. Tenacious D

Then we're both weird. I tried to watch Animal House for the first time about 6 months ago, lasted about :20. I've seen Airplane when I was a teenager, but don't recall most of it, and wouldn't voluntarily watch it again.

It's that whole era when the early SNL's were all of the rage - I think an Amish funeral is funnier than SNL prior to Hartman's arrival, forward.

Love Ben Stiller, Zach Galifianakis, Ferrell - but they can go on a tangent and lose me, too.

Adam Sandler is either awesome or putrid, with the latter being most frequent.

I don't get the Mad Max shit, either.

I've seen one Iron Man, the latest one before Avengers, and it was ok (about a 5), and like you, think that the Dark Knight trilogy was outstanding. But there's lots and lots of layers to Dark Knight - and there isn't anything to either Star Trek / Wars, at all. They're such shallow plots as to be 1.5 dimensional. That's what I don't get about it - it's two factions warring in space. Same plot line of about, oh, a bajillion other and simiallrly CGI-driven films.

17. Tenacious D

My wife hates the Goonies, too.

But then, she prefers "Wyatt Earp" to Tombstone, so take that with a grain of salt.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Airplane is just excellent. As is Animal House.

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It had never occurred to me it was possible to prefer Wyatt Earp to Tombstone.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

animal house is good. have never like airplane that much. very dated. also have always secretly thought caddyshack was just ok.

star trek and star wars are the exact opposite of one dimensional.