Movies I Just Don't Get

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I thought that Cast Away was a 5, tip tops.

Saw pieces of American Beauty. Never saw Garden State - not a Zach Braff (?) fan.

The beauty of Wes Anderson movies used to be that there wasn't anything to "get", but lots and lots there, if you looked. This is sadly not the case of late, as it's just tripe overlapped with 60's British rock songs. Anderson needs to return to writing with Owen Wilson, as he's been lost since their last full-time written film (Tenenbaums).

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Everything Monty Python and Mel Brooks is fantastic.

I can't think of a single Ferrel movie that was actually good. And those movies with the between the ferns guy that goes to Vegas and gets punched out by Tyson went from a awful to petrid.

3. Tenacious D

I like the premise, and what little I know about the characters. It just took too long to get its shit together, so as to hold my attention.

I will probably try to watch it, again, but am ok if I don't.

4. Tenacious D

Lord, have mercy.

I saw this in theatres with some friends while stationed in San Diego. To this day, it's the only time that I've been in a movie theatre when the audience applauded at the end.

I love it, but it's not one that I can watch every week.

It's a summer film to me, and seems out of place in other seasons. Anyone else think this way about films - other than the obvious holiday fare?

5. Tenacious D

Actually saw the Natural, all the way through. Still regret wasting that time.

Absolute shit on a rock.

6. Tenacious D

That actually makes a lot of sense.

I want an immersive experience, and have a hard time when something seems stupid to me.

7. Tenacious D

I can't even imagine how this is possible. Two forces fighting in space. The end.

Isn't that ultimately it?

And please don't make this a baseball thing, where everything must have some special meaning or significance, simply as a means to justify the inordinate amounts of time and energy that people waste on it, so as to see what they want - which is manufactured complexity amongst the straight-forward and mundane.

8. Tenacious D

I've only seen Holy Grail (a solid 4, tops) and Blazing Saddles (a solid 5-6).

Hangover one was an 8, the sequels were both 2's - and they would be 1's without Galifiankis.

9. fl0at_

Star Wars is part magic, part futuristic engineering, that occurs in the present.

The setting is partly space, because of space travel and alien races. It isn't two sides fighting in space.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no that's not it. they are character driven dramas with elements of action movies. in particular when it comes to star trek tv shows. the backdrop is space. just like the backdrop for hunt for red October is a submarine.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Goonies is the most overrated movie of all time. I also hate Willie Wonka and the Wizard of Oz while we're on the subject of weird/stupid movies.

Most Sandler movies are stupid too but some are entertaining and good for a random quoting. Some are really good- Wedding Singer and Big Daddy.

Love Tommy Boy, Super Troopers and Black Sheep.

I'm a sucker for all sports movies, excluding boxing not named Rocky.

Also like the Sound of Music and Gone With the Wind.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Forrest Gump is awesome, but I'd watch Tom Hanks do pantomime, so I'm biased.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What about the Matrix?

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Bullshit. Not only did Norman Dale have to overcome Myra objections to Jimmy playing, he also had to get Jimmy on the court which was no small feat given his attachment to the previous coach. And if it wasn't for Ollie's free throws and Strap Purl's contribytions, we're not even having this conversation because Hickory isn't making the finals. Have you even watched the movie? Shit.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

First one was awesome. Have never seen 2 + 3, as I heard they wrecked the story of the first.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Thought the first one was great, haven't seen the two sequels.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Keanu Reeves is almost as bad as Nic Cage. Almost.

19. fl0at_

Saw all three Matrix movies. If you haven't seen 2 and 3, don't.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree with you guys. First one is awesome all the way through, second one has a few moments that are great (not many), and the last one sucked.