Muhammad Ali Dead at 74

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jun 4, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No my issue is you lauding him as a hero. This isn't overly complicated

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, because he's "famous" and could fight his case in the court system.

And, yes, I admire him for taking a principled stand against an immoral war waged under false pretenses.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Being famous and wealthy gave him the opportunity to stay in his own country and pull the religious card to get out of military service. That wasn't available to the general public. So no I don't consider it very heroic.

And there was no self serving motivation?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, he was willing to give it all up, for his convictions. Hence, the admiration. This isn't hard, either.

The "religious card" was available to others, what are you talking about? You seriously think the Supreme Court ruled in his favor because he was rich and famous? That this ruling only applied to him?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, You're saying being rich is a help? I was told Curry was a born underdog compared to Lebron James.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

A law court is exactly like a basketball court.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Who says if he had been put in jail for life he wouldn't have changed his mind? It's easy to play martyr from the comfort of your home.

Who said anything of the sort? I'm saying I don't find it to be heroic. Nor did I consider the Quakers heroic either even though they at least legitimately believed war is wrong.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Most historians agree that getting involved in Vietnam was a huge mistake and I just can't be mad at Ali for seeing it and refusing to go. All respect rightfully due to those who served and died but the truth of the matter is that they died pretty much for nothing.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Still does not make him a hero

10. Savage Orange

Maybe, but you can't say he wasn't courageous.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Horseshit. When his options were fighting in a war and possibly losing his life or staying home and possibly going to prison for a few years, and he chose staying home, he's far from courageous. The truly courageous were the ones who opted to fight alongside their fellow Americans when called upon.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't think going to war simply because your number was called makes you any better an American than one who fights against said war, if it were morally justified to do so. Whatever his motivations.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You said you weren't dense...

14. Savage Orange

Yes, truly courageous Real Americans like John Kerry and the lot... Just going because you were told to go (or have some agenda that military service would enhance) isn't courage. Courage is standing for what you believe in even when you know going in its going to cost you. While I hesitate to call Ali a "hero" (whatever that means) I don't doubt his courage for a minute. He gave a generation of black Americans a voice and imparted the idea that they could make the life for themselves that they wanted, not the one they were expected to live because of their skin color. He made it OK to speak out and to be outrageous. Black athletes before him had to watch their P's & Q's for the most part but Ali never played the buttoned down corporate, "non-threatening black man" crap... He said what he wanted to say and did what he wanted to do and if white America didn't like it (and we sure as hell DIDN'T) we could kiss his black ass.

On top of that, I would defy you to watch the entire "Thrilla in Manilla" and say he wasn't courageous...

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't know people were typically born on basketball courts.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Actually, I didn't.

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Crazy talk.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Please. He stayed home to avoid combat. He tried every trick in the book to avoid legal consequence. That isn't heroism in any way. He didn't go to Canada because he presumed he'd win and his handlers wanted the fight.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why?