Music City Bowl Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 4, 2016.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I didn't act too bad after the Music City bowl. I threw a lot of trash at the officials

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I've never been in a stadium so quiet as that UGA game where Allen got hurt.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yup. Same

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The quietest I've ever heard Neyland is when Henry went over the top for a TD against Vandy in 2000 and landed on his head. It seemed like he was laying still in the endzone for hours.

The other is when Inky was hurt. I was sitting about 20 rows up directly across the field from where that hit happened. I can still picture it in my head. I knew it was bad before he hit the ground and the reaction of AF's trainers confirmed it.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

'

Couldn't imagine seeing Inky get hurt live. I was playing in a golf tournament that day, so I wasn't watching. Kind of glad, to be honest.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was there. Bad.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I imagine I was pretty obnoxious at the MCB. I was very intoxicated and vaguely remember yelling you've gotta be ****ing kidding me about about a dozen times at the end of regulation. I think it was the final straw for the guy with his son in the row below. He was a slightly mouthy NC fan, so my give a shit level was low at that point. Seems like I remember challenging every NC fan I could lay eyes on to be proud of that bs.

I honestly wish I had not drank quite so much. It took me a long time to piece together some of the sequence of events. The next morning, my buddy and I that had gone to the game sat at a Shoney's somewhere off Elm Hill Pike and tried to make out how exactly we made it back to the hotel room the night before. My last memory before waking up was reciting the memorized name and location of the hotel where we were staying to a cabbie. I also recall slurring, "My work here is now finished," as I slid into oblivion in the back seat. How we got to said cab from the bar and what prompted us to leave or be removed from the bar has been an ongoing topic of discussion ever since.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've always been a model of calmness and composure no matter the situation...

Except for maybe that time at the Citrus Bowl where I almost committed geronticide for an old dude yelling in my face before the game. Oddly enough, I couldn't find an Ohio State fan willing to talk shit after the game.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I still can't figure out exactly what happened to Inky on that hit. I remember that he walloped the WR (Air Force?), and then was facedown and motionless on the field. Did he break a bone (clavicle?) and a fragment shredded the nerves in his shoulder / an organ? Was he knocked out? Did he suffer some kind of cranial injury, too? I've heard him re-tell the story about being rushed to surgery to stop internal bleeding, but I neither understand how the bleeding began, nor how the injury / efforts to stop the bleeding without the use of his right arm. Also, I've noticed that he still wears something that looks like a brace / wrap / sleeve on his right arm, which extends all the way to his wrist, and I can never figure out what that is for - but it always reminds me of the same sleeve that a friend who suffered third degree burns used to also wear.

Sorry if this comes off as in any way disrespectful or morbidly curious, as that's the very last thing I'd intend or want to imply, I just really never understood exactly what happened, and don't recall having heard it.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I could be completely wrong, but my understanding was that both nerves and vessels/arteries were ripped from the force of the hit.

As for the brace, I played football with a guy in hs that was hit by a garbage truck while riding a motorcycle to practice our freshman year. He survived, but the impact caused complete paralysis of one of his arms. He wore a brace similar to what I've seen Inky wear for over 20 years until he just decided to have it amputated. I'd think there were issues that necessitated the amputation. Sadly, this gentleman passed away about a year ago after suffering a brain injury from a fall, if the story I heard is correct.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His shoulder exploded, for the most part. The artery in his shoulder was torn.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm assuming the force of the hit collapsed the thoracic outlet in his shoulder. Veins, arteries, and nerves pass through that.

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Those assholes can never admit defeat. I remember them blaming the cleats after the game. Eddie George got to meet Bill Duff that day.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Basically a complete freak injury. I've never heard of it happening anywhere else.

As soon as he hit the guy you could tell it wasn't right.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It didn’t sound right when they hit. It wasn't a crack sound of pads, it was a dull thud

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bud Adams saying "Tennessee now had a football team" and Eddie George and Jevon Kearse were the reasons I never really cheered for the Titans.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I got a small black and white TV and a pair of cowboy boots for Christmas one year (1982 - 84ish?), as my two "big" gifts, and which I was both watching and wearing (because I like to party, that's why), a few weeks later when Tennessee lost to Iowa (IIRC) in a bowl game. The tv was sitting on a little chair at the foot of my bed. When Tennessee lost, I was so pissed that I immediately lifted both feet and just slammed the heels of those boots into the tv screen as hard as I possibly could. It shoved the tv against the back of The chair and wall the with such force as to instantly shatter the plastic sides (the glass actually didn't break, IIRC), and which not only left my boots with deep scratches along each side, but had also intermittently ripped the ornate stitching along the top of each. I never got a replacement TV, and anytime I saw those scratches and ripped threads, it reminded me of that game, and I'd get a little pissed all over again, both a little at myself but even moreso at our having lost that game.

Nowadays, particularly since having kids and greatly desiring that they turn out far better than my dumb ass, I try to set a better example by not allowing myself to get anywhere close to being that angry. I'll curse here and there (which they each find to be absolutely hilarious), but mostly, I'll just go outside or to the garage to get my attention off of it, and usually stay there until either the game is over, I've calmed down, or both.

In the last few years, I have watched two remotes just inexplicably and curiously explode after being accidentally dropped, and following the MSB against UNC game, and again, when we had 63 men on the field vs LSU. Cheap Chinese products, IMO.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have toned it way down since marriage and children

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I remember walking into a store as a kid and where the Vols stuff usually was, there was Oilers gear. I wasn't a fan.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I used to see the national games every week on TV, and I loved it. Miami was often on, so that was good.

Then the ****ing Oilers came to town, and they were crammed down my ****ing throat. I hope they go 0-16 every year.