My College Staple Food

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Mar 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I ate Hibachi Factory for lunch today. If I were still in college that Wendy's on the strip would be recession proof.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

UC cafeteria was about ten thousand times better than the Presidential one. Worth the wall.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Chick-fil-a
    These nearby Mexican and wing joints.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Chick Fil A, the Milligan College Deli and Ramen. Also, due to some family problems I was living with my dad and he'd buy if I cooked. We grilled, a lot.

lately I've been eating Ramen like my old college days. And because I've wanted it, not because it's so cheap. Not sure why I crave it so.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Freshman year, I lived off a diet of chicken nuggets and waffle fries. Also ate a lot of Ben and Jerry's.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The McDonald's Dollar Menu has been my best friend for almost 3 years now.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Eggs, peanut butter, and oatmeal

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Chik fil a in Presidential got a lot of my bonus bucks

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

same here. i pretty much swore off chik fil a for a couple of years after i left presidential

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, Presidential Court Chik fil A must have made millions.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Any of yous ever eat at Maybell's on the Ag campus? Great food even and a greater story about the cafeteria's origins.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I rarely made it over to the ag campus.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A few times. I liked it but never really was on the Ag campus much.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Practically lived on the ag campus as an animal sci major but for some reason i rarely ate at Mabel's, only a handful of times. What's the story?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm just now getting to where I can eat Chik Fil A again and it's been close to 8 years since I was a freshman.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

First off, it is spelled Mabel's. It has been awhile since I've been.

The short answer about Mabel's is it was one of the last (maybe the last) cafeteria not to get ruined by the Aramark/Sodexho evil empire and still modeled as an "old school" cafeteria (Think S&S off Kingston Pike, or the old Sunny's in Johnson City). When Mabel ran that cafeteria she basically had a lot of autonomy in selecting ingredients, making meals, selecting menus and so on. I even believe that particular cafeteria was like a test kitchen where the Ag department donated food at one time, though I may be wrong on that point. When I was eating there many of her recipes lived on and could only be found at that cafeteria on campus. By the end of my stay, however, you started to see the quality deteriorate, which was sad. Still it was better than trying to elbow my way through the UC for mediocre fast food.