POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't, it deserves to be remembered and it was my mistake.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, it may be the worst of any of the massacres of that time period, on par with conquistador atrocities in the 16th century.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I could understand that if it were the Benedict Arnold College Colonials or King George University Tyrants or something like that. Washington was a special type of colonial. It’s the same reason Tennessee Volunteers works.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of a small college with a Conquistador mascot.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Washington worked to no longer be a colonial. he found the meddling of an overseas power that he had no real say with to be worth fighting.

I don't think George the colonial should be confused with the actual person. But I also think we need to be careful about lionizing any person living or dead. We are all flawed, complicated, and products of our time to some extent.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Which is why a George Washington Colonial has a different meaning than what is attempting to be applied. It's not one who oppresses or one who is oppressed. It's one who refuses to be oppressed.

Regardless, I think the outcry of these things is pretty far-fetched. A wildcat would be very distressing to me. I'm not sure UK needs to change everything because of that.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

but then why be "the colonial?" Washington went from colonial to rebel freedom fighter to president of a new nation. he was born a colonial but died the father of a nation.

colonial is lame. it's double lame from the perspective of one whose ancestors were already here. I can see why some would want it changed. and being offended or bothered by it is no different than being offended or bothered about changing it

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not offended by it. This is the thread that has been designated the area to post stupid stuff people get worked up over. I think the outcry is ridiculous. This is someone looking for a crusade.

And the name change is not being suggested due to it being "lame". It's evidently oppressive.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

eh. just doesn't seem that crazy to me to want to change it. or at least make it a Battlestar Galactica reference.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Just change the name to Whooping Cranes and be done with it.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The George Washington Carvers. Have a guy holding a carving knife as your mascot.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

the ugly sweaters could be a lot of fun.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Today:

449,000 Californians turned down Jury Duty because they were not citizens... but they WERE registered voters. Let that sink in. ​

Aren't 37.14159% of statistics quotes made up on the spot? Is that true for facebook?

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

On Facebook, it is closer to 43.279% are made up on the spot. Same could be said of many message boards.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m not sure how registration works but some locations in California allow undocumented (illegal) residents of their area to vote in school board elections. There might be a registration involved with that in such a way that it makes the above stay true but misleading.

I think the big concern was over their law that would allow registration to vote when you get a drivers license and then allowed illegals residents to get a DL. Those illegal residents are not allowed to fully register to vote though. Question from those that don’t like it is are here any that try to register anyway.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Voting on school board elections seems inappropriate, as well.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The assumption is that they will at least have some kind of a say in their child’s education. At the same time, many don’t register as theyd prefer to remain under the radar, and not alert anybody to their address.

I don’t know enough into the details to know how important their votes actually are, but on the surface, I’m not sure I agree with allowing them to vote. Seems like it could lead to continually trying to get more rights.

tvolsfan likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

everybody wants comprehensive immigration reform.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I remember when Elon College was the Fightin’ Christians. They came to the Tommy Bowl in 99 or 00. Most offensive thing was the barb wire bicep tattoo their big man had. I think the Daily Beacon headline was Vols Martyr Christians or some such. Being a fightin’ Christian myself, it didn’t really bother me.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think it’s reasonable for the locales to decide.

They pay property tax (even if it’s through their rent), sales tax, and have kids in the schools.

Doesn’t seem so unreasonable.