Mykelle McDaniel interview:

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Without a doubt. Those wins against Auburn and Kentucky help a little, but these last two weeks have been really bad, and I would feel a lot better about it if he had something more than two solid wins to fall back on. Going into next year, I’m not really sure whether he’s the guy or not. But that’s where I was going into this year too, so I’m kinda used to it.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This sounds true to me.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That Auburn win was nice, but he's been Malzahn's daddy since he started coordinating defenses. Hell, he was on the field telling the players what plays Auburn was running before the snap. That is great, but it's also a damning indictment of Malzahn and Chip Lindsey.

Punching Kentucky in the mouth is what's supposed to happen

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he realized early on he hired the wrong guy at OC.

5. Tenacious D

Nothing terribly wrong with screwing up and in admitting it. Not fixing it is where true problems arise.

Tar Volon and chavisut like this.
  6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Comparing Saban and Pruitt at this point is ridiculous.
    Same with Vanderbilt though... I know I need to get over that shit but... 5 out of the last 7 games? I never thought I’d live to see the day...

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Indeed. I’m still not sure whether Friend is a problem per se, but if he went out and got Chaney and Pittman, that would say a lot.

reVOLt likes this.
  8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Hope Western Kentucky fixes it for him because if they don't, not sure will do what it takes.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He rushed the hire and regretted it from the onset.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He nailed the defensive staff and hired a great WR coach. Niedermeyer has been a stud recruiter as a TE coach, with only one real SEC talented TE it's hard to say he did a good or bad job coaching on the field. Wolf turned into a decent blocking TE, so there's that. DWA has no interest in blocking.

chavisut and NYY like this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It would say "[uck fay] you Kirby Smart" which couldn't make me happier.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We need an old fashioned haircut match next year with UGA. Love to see Smart held down at 50 yard line and shave his freaking combover.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m somewhere between disappointed and just glad we managed to pick up the Ws we got, tbh

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

My favorite Mel McDaniel song is Lousiana Saturday Night followed by Testify.

RockyHill likes this.
  15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You're better than this.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

A 5-6/2-5 team pushed us around on both sides of the ball. It's hard to find a good way to spin it.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not spinning anything. I'm looking at the reality that UT was a 5-6 team going into the game and got pushed around by a better 5-6 team.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Based on what I thought this season might be? Nah

I mean yeah I think we should be better than that as a program but we’re not

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bituli missed some critical open field tackles in the first half. Hell, player execution is the biggest problem on defense. They were in the spots to make plays quite a bit.

Volst53 likes this.
  20. Tenacious D

I damned sure don’t know if Friend is a problem or the problem. But when you seem to make a very important hire - I’d argue the OL is the third most important for Pruitt, behind only S&C and OC - based on seemingly little else except he’s your personal buddy, it warrants extra scrutiny.

And if you then hired an OC who knew, or worse, allowed said personal buddy and OL coach to have his fingers in the OC....then that OC is too stupid to be hired, and the whole situation is a pretty damning mark on Pruitt’s leadership and speaks to his inexperience.

Can anyone fathom Pruitt’s reaction had Jimbo, Richt or Saban brought in their buddy to coach a defensive position group...and then expected Pruitt as DC to take input as to how to run / call his defense, from that personal friend / assistant coach?

Any coach worth his salt would tell any head coach to get [uck fay]ed in that situation (ask any player or coach here what they’d do in that situation and believe whatever they tell you), and yet, rumors persist that it is exactly this situation that Helton was hired into, and allowed. And which ultimately, is just going to make Helton look like shit as the guy owning the actual title, but not actually fully running the show.

If this is true, and Pruitt either planned or merely permitted this, then that’s both chickenshit and falls squarely on his shoulders.