National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by kptvol, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Going to start calling each new HC "The Answer" for some of you - until he isn't. Which is usually known within a year or so.

Dudes - Dools already had half of them and most of the rest were recruits of his at Cincy or of Thig/Martinez at the Barn. So he did marginally OK at best. Not good, not horrible. 10th or 11th in a conference of 14 teams. It is what it is, and it isn't what is needed to get to the top 5 in the SEC. Fact. If he lands a top 10 next season after a winning record this season he gains some cred and traction.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Next seasons recruiting class should be a tap in birdie at worst. Lot of legacies and in state talent.

3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I will take a middle of the road approach here. I agree that Jones did an overall workmanlike job on this class. The thing I give him the most credit for is having the good sense to keep Jay Graham who landed North. He also pulled a Lazarus on Lawson and Levenberry.

But, my issue with Dooley is that he wasnt ready. He seemed to be learning every little thing. And, the ONE recruit Butch needed the most was Vonn Bell. He showed that he didn't know how to close that and got schooled by Urban at the finish line. So, he is at least learning on the job part of it. Lets just hope he can coach. It is fair, though painful, to suggest a bigger name coach could have pulled a couple guys we missed on. And we needed difference makers. 3 stars can, but usually dont impact as FR.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

False. He thought he knew everything and refused to make an attempt to learn.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

**** you. You're not even arguing the same point. You want to analyze the hire, go ahead. I'm analyzing the recruiting class and how he performed based on the hand he was dealt. You want to live in fantasy land and pretend he should have landed some miraculous class, go ahead. And, yes, I think that's very stupid, and I couldn't give two shits what you or anyone else thinks about it.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Something we can probably agree on: This class is what giving Dooley another attempt to "prove himself" and "bring stability" to recruiting bought the slurpers.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Of course you don't. Thank goodness we get your sports genius, grounded in reality, to keep us grounded in truth. Hell, screw truth, just thanks for the searing analysis. You strike me as a sports savant and I appreciate all the insight. Of course it's stupid to look at this class in light of the hire, since we didn't hire the coach and he just stumbled upon us. Regardless, look at you educating us dumber folk about football recruiting.

And of course you care that I think you're an idiot. That's why you keep arguing otherwise.

8. vcoile

vcoile New Member

Bingo!!!! You hit the nail on the head. The UT administration could care less about fielding any athletic teams that compete for championships as long as we continue to pay Regas prices and allow them to serve Krystle burgers. Basically they are saying "Sit down and shut up. We'll hire a mid major coach and you'll damn well like it."

9. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

Pretty much the attitude of us that have been vol fans for many many years.
    After Phil goes on vacation, the Kiffin experiment, the drooly debacle and the hart/cheek fiasco, we're a bit gun shy at this point and sick and tired of watching our team sink to the doormat of the SEC. We don't hate CBJ, we're just leery and expect him to earn our respect. Time will tell and all true vol fans will be the first to hope he succeeds.

10. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think a lot of the people on this board have already made up their mind about what they think CBJ will do based on the opinions of a few prominent posters. Is that fair? Sure it is, it's their opinion. Is it right? We won't know for another year. So I don't agree that people are just leery and want him to earn the fans respect, I think the majority of this have already decided he will be a failure.

I, myself, am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm disappointed in this class because I honestly thought we could have landed a few more big players. If next years class is mostly the same I will be switching over to the negative side.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You don't think his coaching resume might be more relavant than what a couple of posters say about him?

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

People can come to their own conclusions independently. This isn't volnation.

13. vcoile

vcoile New Member

Stars by the numbers

ALABAMA
    5* 4* 3* 2* NR
    2013 6 12 6 1 0
    2012 3 15 9 0 0
    2011 3 12 7 0 0
    2010 2 14 9 1 3
    Total 14 53 31 2 3 103

TENNESSEE
    5* 4* 3* 2* NR UT's 5*'s
    2013 0 4 12 5 0 Cordarrelle Patterson-No longer with the program
    2012 1 5 15 1 1
    2011 0 9 18 0 0
    2010 1 7 14 3 1 Da'Rick Rogers-No longer with the program
    Total 2 25 59 9 2 97

Difference 12 28 -28 -7 1 6

But stars don't matter right-Alabama has won 3 out of the last 4 National Championships
    Bama UT
    W L W L
    2012 13 1 5 7 Bama National Championship
    2011 12 1 5 7 Bama National Championship
    2010 10 3 6 7
    2009 14 0 7 6 Bama National Championship
    Total 49 5 23 27

14. vcoile

vcoile New Member

Sorry about the formatting guys. The columns are a little off.

15. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

At least there is absolutely no argument about you being an idiot.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bpv is many things. dumb is most certainly not one of them.

17. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Of course they can. I think a lot of people just hang on the words of a few instead of forming their own opinion based on past success, etc.

18. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Agreed.

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Why didn't you list the 5 star players no longer at Bama?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think you have it backwards. this site was created because a decent number of people got sick of being crapped on and moded when they had opinions that weren't of the VFL variety. these same people are posting in these threads. so if you are noticing a higher degree of scepticism here than other places that is by design in a way. of course all those people were dead right about dooley.