NBA / Cuban Aim to Stop "One and Done" Players - KY fans are breathless

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If that is what the NBA mandates, then that is what they mandate. Never said it was fair to the player but you are acting like it is their God-given right to play in the NBA. Like I said, if they want to get paid, go play overseas. Worked for Brandon Jennings.

2. GahLee

Cause the association that they want to be a part of says " we aren't interested in giving an 18 year old a mutli-million dollar contract, no matter how good you are ". I'm not the guy trying to implement the rule, I just see that there is some good in it.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The last time the Supreme Court looked at one of the NBA's mandates on when someone could enter the draft, they essentially said it was someone's God given right to practice their profession. They've managed to hold the one and done rule together only because players realize the time involved makes a legal challenge useless. They'd be eligible by the time the case worked itself through the system. If they attempt to implement a three year rule, they'll get bulldozed legally.

4. hatvol96

Are you saying that teams wouldn't draft Shabazz Muhammad if they could? The NBA is on extremely shaky antitrust ground here and they know it. Monopolies don't get to set their rules like the local pipefitters.

5. GahLee

No, I'm not saying that. NBA GM's have shown they are willing to draft anything that is a tall and has a pulse. These kids wouldn't exactly be put in a rock and a hard place. They could go overseas and get paid more than 99% of the population gets paid and then enter the draft or they can go to school for free for three years and then make more than the other 99% of us.

Either way, the kids with that talent level are going to get paid a ton of money to play a game, if they have to wait until they are 20 or 21 to become multi-millionaires from the NBA, then so be it. I for one will not pity them.

6. hatvol96

Of course, you don't. You're pissed you don't have the talent to be one of them.

7. GahLee

Who doesn't wish they could play a game for millions upon millions of dollars?

Not pissed in the least, just not going to throw a pity party for a bunch of guys who will have millions in their bank account at the age of 21. They'll manage if the rule was ever implemented.

8. hatvol96

Well, at least we've established you're a lap dog for authority.

9. GahLee

Lol...I'm pretty much the exact opposite.

You have your views and opinions and I have mine.

If either of my sons were blessed enough to be one of these kids we are talking about I wouldn't wavier from what I have been saying. They are in a great situation either way. Take it and run with it.

10. hatvol96

Your views being that power can make nonsensical, arbitrary rules and you're alright with that.

11. GahLee

If that's the way you see it, you're entitled to it but I can tell you that is not how I am.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Why would the Union oppose it?

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Because it makes the players spend two extra years playing for free instead of playing for money...

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The guys spending two extra years playing for free aren't in the union yet, and the guys in the union are looking out for themselves. They didn't oppose the one-and-done, and I don't see them having a great incentive to oppose a two-and-done or three-and-done rule.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It would be hard to take their support for a three year rule seriously, seeing as most of the league's best players obviously had no desire to stay 3 years.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

get rid of the one and done rule, but force the kids to spend 2 years in the development league or college (their choice). The top talent will still get drafted and paid even if the teams have to wait a couple of years.

17. NashVol11

So, we're forcing them to play for roughly 20K against competition they have no business facing, all under the ruse of "protecting" them?

18. NashVol11

I don't think the guys in the union are trying to turn around and screw over their younger counterparts. They can either side with the college players or help protect the owners from making dumbass decisions. Something tells me they're not picking the owners.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

who said anything about 20k? i'm saying they are eligible for the draft and the contracts, just have to play d league for 2 years. the celtics drafted bird and waited a year to get him.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think if it's collectively bargained, they're clear on anti-trust grounds. Also, if this thing was vulnerable to an antit-trust attack, it would have already been shot down.