Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It was ok. Ill stay with it for now

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It wasn't terrible, I'm just waiting on Daredevil to show up

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, I'm sure she will lawyer circles around him and then monologue about how she has it much tougher than a blind man because she is a woman who has to see this horrible world.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't expect me to be the only one with the take I had. Maybe I am being too sensitive.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

They sure seem to be afraid to do it. Black Widow? Can't lose even without powers. Black Panther's sister? Effortlessly smarter than anyone else on the planet, has it all figured out. Captain Marvel? Captain Marvel. Thor's gal is a better Thor just rolling over and picking up the hammer. Scarlet Witch is automatically more powerful than any other avenger besides Captain Marvel despite never really doing anything with it. Wasp is instantly more competent and skilled than Ant Man. The Defenders were a perfect inverse-privilege hierarchy of competency (disabled guy, woman, black man, white guy). Same with Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's every time. Try to find a counter-factual, you can't. It writes itself in that it is so timid and predictable as to ignore the hero's journey if the hero is not male. Obviously they are printing money, so I guess it doesn't matter. And maybe it's partly the limitations of the "hero" genre in that it gets stale to see the Spiderman geek to hero story over and over, be it Peter Parker or Captain America or Tony Stark in a cave... I don't know.

InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

These comic movies will be the end of me. It has meant good money has funneled into television to tell some stories, but the air has been sucked out of the screen.

IP likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

Imo what they pulled off from iron man to endgame was pretty impressive. Every movie wasn’t a 10/10 but the way everything came together was cool. Idk if they will achieve that again. But I’ll say it’s already kind of going stale with me, I still watch them but it’s kind of, eh I’ll get to it. It was pretty much an appointment deal for me once I got started, from approximately Guardians 1 to Endgame

8. JohnnyQuickkick

I get it. I guess my only real standard is being entertained and if that happens I don’t notice things like that as much

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fair. And for me it's close. I am sufficiently entertained, but it's close.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

BW had enough of a backstory of being "defeated" per se that it's part of her character. She's fighting to cast out demons. Her character, all in all, was treated well. I would somewhat argue same with Scarlet Witch. The others are legit gripes.

Boy watched episode 1 of She Hulk and didn't care for it, so I doubt I'll watch.

11. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

We just finished Heels, liked it a lot. Look forward to season 2.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Quite a few people on Twitter are enjoying some nice revisionist history after this Manti Te’o documentary. My thoughts:

1. I get a nice laugh at people who say “It’s inspirational how well he played that season despite everything going on” and in the next breath chastise people who think he was in on the hoax.

2. Love how people want to act like ND lost to Bama that year primarily because of the Te’o stuff. That game was an absolute slaughter. They were outmatched at every single position, and most of us knew they didn’t belong there before kickoff.

3. I do wonder how much money he truly lost because of the catfish scheme. The loss to Bama showed that Te’o was the biggest fish in the small pond. Can’t help but wonder if teams cooled on him after that and then fell back on the hoax as their excuse to pass on him.

4. I don’t think his PR people helped him much. He should have leaned into the memes and laughed at himself a bit. Probably would have cooled off the heat much sooner.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Trying “See”. Had never heard of it. Anybody watch?

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Is it like a present tense "Saw"?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Whoever greenlit the Rings of Power should be run out of town on a rail. They basically stole the Tolkien names and places and put it to the script of the Elf stones of Shannara for some dumb reason. And on top of that, it is boring.

I am past all the ethnicity blending in small genetic groups, and am treating that part as just the best actors for the gig got it and they happened to be black or Asian. But the story is dull.

Tolkien gave you this epic tale and you decide to make it completely a jumbled mess of with no apparent driver to the narrative.

It is awful.

EDIT: I have since become aware that Amazon does not have the rights to the Silmarillion nor the Unfinished Tales, so those parts of the story cannot be told. Therefore I will rescind *some* of my disappointment.

I still find the story being told boring and forced.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

thoroughly enjoying moon knight

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I thought it was pretty solid

18. JohnnyQuickkick

Whew. Ep 5 is brutal

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The Offer is good if you liked The Godfather.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The wife is watching the new Steve Carrell show. Of the bits and pieces I've watched it seems really good. He's just an amazing actor.