Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hanna and Hanna 2. Worth the effort.

TBSVOL likes this.
  2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Loved the movie. Still need to check out the show.

3. Ssmiff

Some great fight scenes. Kids with wolf dna tend to become badasses

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

@DownNDirty I finished Dark last night. It truly is one of the greatest shows of all time. Never seen that kind of story done so perfectly.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I guess I need to sprechen this thing.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The hard part about Dark was the long break between seasons and trying to place all the people in which place, time, age, etc. Then season 3 throws in an alternate world and makes it more challenging. It ends up tying together, at the end. The wiki page has some interesting diagrams of thr entire timeline within the show.

7. Ssmiff

Season 3 was a little too all over place.

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Watching Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix. Following a European Soccer Team as it hits rock bottom and MAN, the battered Vol syndrome is really kicking in watching this.

9. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I loved Dark glad a couple of others finished it also. I too thought S3 was a little all over the place for some things but overall I thought it tied the story together pretty well all things considered. The sheer amount of forethought that had to go into this show is amazing. The creator is a friggin genius because they couldn't just wing things in S3 they had to have everything set up from the very beginning of the series. And even some scenes you would otherwise think are kind of filler or throwaway can have a deeper meaning as the show progressed.

Spoilers below.......................

I really thought that when they went to the "origin" world to stop the car crash they were actually going to be the cause of the crash to begin with. When they appeared right in front of the car I thought that was definitely what was going to happen and then it didn't.

I did have an overall feeling after the show though. They went to all of this trouble to "erase" their alternate worlds but if you look at the actual ending objectively isn't it actually better the way it was? At the end of the series we see those not affected by all of the time traveling shit together. We see Regina Tiedemann hosting a party attended by Hannah and her husband Torben and they are expecting a baby. Bernadette is now with Peter Doppler so I guess they have a happier ending in a sense. Katharina is by herself because Ulrich would no longer exist which means she no longer has any children either.

Basically by having the origin universe as the only one you've effectively wiped out all 3 Nielsen kids, Charlotte and Elizabeth Doppler, Noah, Jonas, Bartosz, and a few others.

Technically, I guess it's better with the "origin" world simply because it won't cause the apocalypse in the other two worlds so I just talked myself out of my own argument.

Either way, loved that show. Trying to wrap my head around the biggest mindbenders really made me feel like my brain was frying. The most notable being Charlotte is Elizabeth's mother AND daughter. That's one for the ages. I was also caught off guard by the whole Hannah being Silja's mother thing even though I really should have seen that one coming. And Bartosz winding up being Noah's father was another big whoa moment.

The main thing I didn't actually "get" in the final season was the no named child of Jonas and Martha causing so much havoc with other people. Why exactly was he killing some of these fringe characters? I'm sure there's a good explanation but that kind of flew over my head as I thought it was going to be a big plot point but turned out not to be.

And Woeller's frigging eye. What the hell happened? We'll never know.

10. Ssmiff

Spoiler as well but re Noah, the kids being sent back from the past kinda got lost in the shuffle didnt they? Were those trial runs with a new system? Thats the only thing i dont have closure with.

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Yes I think those were trial runs. They had to happen to perfect the system. I thought Noah was an evil guy in S1 and by the end of S2 I figured he was actually not all that bad. By the end of S3 he turned out to be one of the more tragic characters in the entire series. There were a lot of people to feel bad for - Tronte for having such a horrible father in the unknown man, Claudia to see Regina go through what she went through, Ulrich for rotting in prison for all those years then getting to see Mikkel briefly, Katherina for straight up being murdered by her own mother by time jumping, Bartorz for having to watch things play out, etc.

I literally feel sorry for most of them except Hannah. [uck fay] her. But I even felt a little bad for her when Jonas/Adam strangled her to death. No wonder why Siljah hated Jonas so much when we first see her at the end of S1.

12. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Kingdom has been pretty good so far. Starting season 2 tonight.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Rumors of a Donald Glover Lando series circulating.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Might be the thing that gets me to pull the trigger on Disney finally. I know I'm in the minority, but I liked the Solo movie. I liked it almost as much as Rogue One. I thought Glover was good in that role.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I enjoyed it. It was what it was, a fun movie. And Glover was excellent.

16. Ssmiff

Reckoning is ok. We are teying to binge a season of a show per week. Dark, hanna and last kingdom seasons got us through about 2 months.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He absolutely was Lando Calrissian

warhammer likes this.
  18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I thought Solo was a good movie. Might have been a dumpster fire behind the camera, but the end product was better than anything Abrams and Rian gave us.

warhammer likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Solo was a good heist film, it wasn't the typical star wars movie, which had a lot of hard core star wars people upset

warhammer likes this.
  20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That was part of it. A lot of those same folks were still riding a wave of anger over Last Jedi as well.

justingroves likes this.