Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

One of the things I liked about Solo was that it put it on film that Darth Maul survived Phantom Menace. He's a great character and more could be done with him.

I don't have a gripe with Solo. I think I am just burned out on Star Wars-- space fantasy is neat, but I enjoy it less than high and low fantasy, and less than science fiction. Because sometimes it just feels lazy in how it lurches through any explanation or device with whatever it wants, with no real consistency. At a certain point these build up to the point of nothing really being believable or logical to me and it just turns into a fever dream of special effects. Looking at you, Rise of Skywalker.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think high and low fantasy is not much better than space fantasy with regards to that particular complaint. I think the major difference is how much is out there. If you roll in the comics movies in with space fantasy, there is a glut of it that's always in your face. If there was more traditional fantasy out there, it would basically be the same. The more of something that's brought to market, the more difficult it often is to find quality.

Rise of Skywalker was trying to pander to fans and resurrect the goose that layed golden eggs.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Watched The English Game on Netflix. It was done by the same guy behind Downton Abby per the wife. I didn't hate it. It's interesting but also plays loose with the facts.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Didn't watch it during broadcast, but The Last Dance is freaking good and is on Netflix right now.

justingroves likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Trying Goliath on prime. Billy B thornton.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want nothing but Jordan's reactions to people downplaying his greatness

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The best was his reaction to Payton.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Funniest thing is Jordan taking anything and making it into the biggest disrespectful thing ever.

"Hey, Mike, how you doing?"

"He didn't use a verb in that sentence. Does he think I don't know grammar?"

*Drops 56 on that player*

justingroves likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

IMG_20200510_232451.jpg

InVolNerable likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"I felt like he didn't respect me" or "He didn't fear me" seemed to be a running theme

12. Ssmiff

You seen the jordan meme above somebody put to a georgia football video?
    Also as a golfer, what amazes me is him going out to play 36 while having a few cigars and couple beers then going to play an nba game at the highest level achieveable.

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I liked it when Rodman skipped practice after game 3 to go join NWO, everybody flipping their shit about it except for Phil Jackson, then coming back to have his best game of the series in game 4, including hitting the game sealing FTs.

14. Ssmiff

This actress on Goliath is about as sexy as it gets

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

First season is awesome. Second season is watchable, so long as you don't mind bad writing that continues to get worse as the season goes. I stopped after the first episode of the third season.

16. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Longshot here, but if you're into HGTV at all, Peacock (new NBC streaming app where a lot of stuff is free with commercials) has a show called Escape to the Chateau about an English couple buying and renovating a 5-story centuries old castle in France. The guy is a brilliant engineer, and it's interesting watching him put plumbing, electricity, heating, etc in the castle. Pretty sure it's produced by the BBC, so none of the annoying American reality TV bits thrown in there. Good amount of shit talking toward the French in there, too.

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

New Last Chance U season today. First 5 minute impression is that this coach isn't a complete shithead, so this season may be watchable.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Just finished season 1 of the umbrella academy. Pretty wild

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I binged it last week. he's the first good man (not perfect but who is).

apparently they are switching to basketball from here

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, season 2 is not quite as wild, but leaves you interested in seeing what they do next.