Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Lost and the X-Files for me. Especially the former. I also watch Downton Abbey with the little woman and have actually enjoyed it if you have a sig. other.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah I got on the Lost bandwagon several years late and all the first seasons were on Hulu. Didn't get to bed before 3 for like 2 weeks. One more episode. One more...

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Exact same situation for me the first month I had netflix streaming...watched 3 or 4 episodes a night. Can't believe I never saw an episode while it was on television.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My wife brought home the first few seasons on dvd and I thought "this has to be lame". I tore through two seasons in no time and started dreaming about the plot. Those first two seasons are totally engrossing.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd write down that series of numbers during lectures and try to figure out some secret mathematical meaning to them.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Ken Burns Civil War Documentaries were pretty interesting. I had to watch one for a class. I watched the movie Session 9 on there when I had it too. It was okay. Worth watching if you have the time, I'd say.

7. Rewatched Arrested Development. Just as great the second time around. The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is next up for me.

8. Also, if you haven't watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil do yourself a favor and do so. It is hilarious.

9. WM

WM Active Member

I'm about 18 episodes into Friday Night Lights and I can honestly say I'm ashamed I never got into this series in it's initial run. I assumed it would be cheesy, Peter Berg is an awesome director so that should have been my first hint. That being said he is directing the movie Battleship which makes me want to at least give it a chance.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Riggins character in the first episode was so damn cheesy I didn't keep watching.

11. WM

WM Active Member

He plays the token Johnny Depp but pilots are always a pass. It's a good series. Give it another run.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's over now, right? How many seasons did it go?

And is this something the girlfriend, who doesn't like sports very much, would enjoy?

13. WM

WM Active Member

It's over now. I think it ran five seasons and there is a talk of a movie. My gf loves it as well, it is character driven as much as its x's and o's with the football element. A good balance IMO.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Watched Dorian Gray. I liked it a lot.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've read the book. Thought there were a few changes but it has been so long I could be wrong.

16. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

As mentioned earlier in the thread The Wild and Wonderful White's of West Virginia is a must watch in a can't look away from a horrible car crash kind of way.

Also, I just had the pleasure of watching Cocaine Cowboys this past weekend and it was awesome. I was completely engrossed in the storytelling in that one.

So much good stuff on Netflix streaming that I could "almost" get rid of my DirecTV completely and just live off of Netflix, Hulu Plus, and streaming sports from my computer. Of course with the wife and my two year old that won't happen but I am considering dropping back to the most basic of packages and just adding on the sports tier.

17. WM

WM Active Member

FNL update. Midway through season four. I think I can put this show in my goat top five. Season three might have been even getter than season one. Matt is a stuttering fool but damn he can act. The Son episode when his dad dies is just gut wrenching.

18. Refugee

Refugee New Member

Just finished "The Take"

4 part mini-series about a pair of English gangsters based on a Martina Cole novel. Very gritty, pretty deep storyline. Good stuff.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Easily one of my all time favorites. Season five as a whole is a great ending to the series.

kp, you should definitely give this show another shot. I felt the same way about Riggins at first, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Matt was my favorite character, hands down. Liked him so much I almost thought about watching that Gray's Anatomy Jungle Edition show with him in it.