New Radiohead album

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, May 11, 2016.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Ful Stop is the most accessible and damned good to boot.

True Love Waits is bound to be divisive but I think it's ****ing gorgeous.

Decks Dark and Identikit are just fantastic and my favorites outside of TLW

The Numbers would feel at home on a few other albums but fits here conceptually and is a very well executed recording.

Burn The Witch was perfect for a lead single, it's unique (read: weird) enough to let you know where the album is going but poppy enough to not turn everyone off from the beginning.

I may have oversold it as far as you are concerned, but I'll stand by my initial reaction. I'm a good six listens in and I like it more every time.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just doesn't seem dynamic. I like the live acoustic True Love Waits so much better. I thought The Numbers seemed like the best track, but wouldn't make the top 5 on any other album not named King of Limbs.

But I was working, with zero knowledge of an upcoming Radiohead album, when I saw your post. I was pumped for the rest of the day. Total letdown.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Correct

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It's not "new" but the 2nd disc of OKNOTOK is unreal. Their B-sides and unreleased tracks from OK Computer era would have been a fantastic album on its own.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Used to have all those MP3s back in the day. Good stuff.

The new album is better than I gave it credit for earlier. Still not one of my favorites of theirs, but I've got some of the songs on my phone now.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

What happened to KidB? Haven't seen him post in forever.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Apparently the cassette that comes with the vinyl box set has one new song and some never released alt versions of others. Folks on Reddit are absolutely gushing over the Motion Picture Soundtrack acoustic piano version. Can't wait for this to come in.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cassette? Like a tape from the 80s?

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I haven't listened to any of Radiohead's new album.

Does that make me a Creep?

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah, for some reason they are making a comeback. It also includes a digital code for the content of said cassette

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Who cares.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Time to break out my old Shaq Diesel tape apparently.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think that your being the first person to respond to that question shows you exactly how much KidB has been missed

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If you can convince a hipster that Shaq's rap influenced Kendrick Lamar in any way, shape, or form, you can probably hawk that thing for a couple cases of PBR

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The first Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack was released on tape too.

It works, my 5 year old carries around an old tape and says he's Peter Quill

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What is it that's appealing? The inferior sound quality or the inconvenience of not being able to skip tracks easily?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Older and worse is the new newer and better

i don't get the vinyl craze either

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Vinyls are neat, but I doubt I'd be into them if I didn't have a gigantic collection and a record player from my father. Sound quality on vinyl is better than tapes.

Tapes might have been nice for the portability, as they don't skip like CDs, but now that we have mp3 players, there's really no reason at all to bother with them.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

At least there are visual aesthetics with playing vinyl.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

About the only upside to tapes is the liner notes.