NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Exactly! And then you’re sitting there, with a top 3 pick you didn’t have to give up 3 first rounders + for. And you can get your QB of the future, cheap, with draft capital to support him going forward! You’re fine! [uck fay] that TE it doesn’t [uck fay]ing matter because you walked this broken road to a franchise QB and like we’ve seen with mahomes, burrow, rodgers etc. a good qb makes up for all. Even wasted 2nd round picks

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

While I think it is understandable and quite logical to think will levis will excel at earning the titans a top 3 pick, he is not unique in that ability and adding another piece would not necessarily threaten that effort. All you have to do is play the qbs you had and do Henry the favor of being traded while he has something left in the tank to go win a championship at Buffalo or whatever while you build back up over 2 to 3 years with talent roster that is not facing rape charges.

Volsdude likes this.
  3. Volsdude

Agreed! That would be viable. However you wanna get there is fine with me. I can see a path forward this way so I’m just less upset about Levis than the rest of the crew here.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

idk, I think flushing a pick down the toilet is dumb

warhammer, SetVol13 and IP like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Draft Levis just to suck? Hell, trade Tannehill for next to nothing and start Willis before wasting a pick.

warhammer, SetVol13 and IP like this.
  6. Volsdude

As I said to IP that’s fine! That works! That’s probably a better path! I don’t care, all I care is that we find a franchise guy and taking will Levis in the 2nd doesn’t hurt our ability to find one in the future in the least bit.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I still think throwing away a chance to draft a useful player is dumb

warhammer, HCKevinSteele and IP like this.
  8. Volsdude

I don’t think they drafted him to suck. I think they saw a guy with physical tools that they took a chance on. I could care less if they wanna try it. I hope he’s [uck fay]ing awful. I hope they put him out there and he throws 10 pick 6s a game. Either that or 10+ wins a season guy. I don’t want the in between. The point isn’t that he’s good or not, the point is the titans are not screwed for taking will Levis.

Edit: does a good player in the 2nd help, sure! But it doesn’t [uck fay]ing matter as long as you don’t have a QB

9. Volsdude

There are so many teams with great rosters and ok qbs and they do nothing. Cowboys, colts, vikings etc. and then you have the patchwork bengals, packers, chiefs who have to piece together a roster each year yet still get to conference championships consistently. A 2nd round “nice piece” is great. But nothing matters until you have a real qb. That’s it. Full stop.

10. Volsdude

Since Ballard has been there the colts have gotten stellar draft grades. Like 7 years and what do they have to show for it? Nothing they’ve [uck fay]ing sucked because they don’t have a qb. And now they finally sucked enough to get one. I’d rather suck this thing up in one year than hang around with Tanne and instead of a decade of thinking well “if everything goes right” as opposed to “whatever happens, our guy can win this thing”

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a nonsensical post. The entire point of the objections is that drafting Levis does not help you. I.e., "nothing matters until you have a real QB" is not in dispute. The point is you want to be in the best position possible if/when you do get a real QB. And you are not doing that if you are drafting QBs that are not the real deal. In fact, it is the most sure fire thing to do to not be increasing your chances of either getting a real QB or having a good roster if you do get one.

12. Volsdude

Lmao I don’t know how to say this any more clearly and am headed into work so I’m just going to have to leave it at this: The titans are not screwed for taking will Levis and the near future could still be bright whether he sucks or not. A not real deal qb increases your chances *see AZ cardinals and Josh Rosen. They are not married to Levis after spending a 2nd on him vs if they had traded three 1sts to get him.

13. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Henry Ruggs pleading guilty and will serve between 3-10 years. I’m not a lock them up and throw away the key type of person, but that seems like a rather light sentence.

OneForVol likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I get what you're saying now.

Volsdude likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, sure, the Titans ate a tide pod and didn't drink a cup of bleach. Okay. I just wish they hadn't eaten a tide pod.

Volsdude likes this.
  16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It only makes sense if they think Levis can develop into a good-to-great starter. Even then, they traded up but still took Levis 2 picks too late to get the 5th year option, which is odd at best.

The 2023 2nd and 2024 3rd could/should be used on WR (historically awful), ILB (weak at best), OL (used a couple picks and brought in a couple part-time guys, but who knows if it's fixed), or DB (rough if Byard is moved). No picks are guaranteed, but you can't win if you don't play. Yeah, you can get some picks back by trading Henry and Byard (Tannehill to a lesser degree), but probably not as much as you'd think, and it would be better to have some potential roster solutions in place going into next year's draft instead of

[​IMG]

justingroves likes this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You either think Levi's is the guy for the future or don't draft him there. You certainly don't try and fail to jump into the tail end of the first to get him if you don't. I'm just glad they didn't give away even more of the farm to get him.

LawVol16 and IP like this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Also on the Titans, if their plan is to definitely keep Tannehill for the season and find some missing pieces for a run this year, however unlikely, I think they finish better in the upcoming season. Henry is not completely washed up, and Tannehill is serviceable. Barring injuries and if they can plug a few holes between now and the start of the season (don't ask me where they come from), this team will likely compete for a wild card spot at least. I'm not saying they are going to be good or real contenders, but I don't think they are drafting in the top 10 without making trades either.

19. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

They’ve bungled this “rebuild” six ways to Sunday up to this point. As you mentioned, the process behind drafting Levis was disjointed (and that’s being charitable). They then proceeded to use a 3rd on a 3rd down back with major medical red flags who probably won’t be around by the time the actually finish the rebuild.

No 4th this year, no 3rd next year unless they pick one up for Henry/Byard/Tannehill. Last year’s 3rd and 4th are 3rd stringers if they make the roster. Even the one early pick that’s defensible - Skoronski - could easily end up at LG.

dknash likes this.
  20. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Hey have y’all heard about the Eagles drafting all those GA players!? I don’t think it’s being talked about enough.

justingroves likes this.