No. More. Gumps.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Dec 19, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

By definition, no one is worth their buyout if they are bought out.

A-Smith, CitrusCo.Vol and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Why not just add 2 mil a year to their comp and keep the contract 2yrs out? Then the incentive is to win and keep their job. Right now the University and the coach both prosper if the coach wins. But the coach prospers, to a lesser degree if they lose, and the university gets hosed.

Would you rather get 5 mil a year with a longer buyout or just 7.5 mil a year with 1-2 yr buyout? Think about it. If you have the intention and expectation of winning you do better taking a higher salary.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Because you have to get the guy to sign the contract.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

the agent is the piece you are not considering in this. The agent ensures he wins even if the coach he shills loses.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Got it. You're all for keeping on keeping on. It's worked so well.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So, none of them. Thanks

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

lol, unless you go get the guy from Gibbs High School, he's not signing a deal without all that stuff. It's too late. Agents convinced idiot ADs it had to be there, and now it does.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

All I'm saying is nothing on Jeremy Pruitt's resume warranted that kind of buyout. He was a mediocre hire, and that was propped up a bit by the circumstances under which he was hired. You fellows are welcome to your opinion, and you all are almost guaranteed to be right in saying that the next underqualified flake they trot out to the podium after Pruitt is gone will be wearing a golden parachute similar to the one Pruitt, and Jones, and Dooley wore. That does not make it good business.

RevBubbaFlavel and TDVol1989 like this.
  9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

oh I have considered it. But has it been tried? At some point you have to understand the coach is the client. The agent works for the coach. If the coach wants it, he will do it. Yes I have personally dealt with a sports agent, or his 2 minions. Cocky suits. Screw them. But the nfl player is still a customer and a nice guy. Somebody has to try

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

no, I am aware of the situation.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think anyone would argue that

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Give an incentive-loaded contract with minimal buyout. Low base, low buyout, absurd high-end value.

Start with $1,000 for first win and double it for every win after that, cumulative (10 wins === ~$1M, 14 wins === $16M, 15 wins and a NC === $32M).

Buyout is equal to previous 2 season’s performances - $12 million buyout like Pruitt would require previous 2 seasons to have been 13 and 12 win seasons.

Get 4 wins? [uck fay] you, you get paid $15k like you deserve.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020