No Southerners, Tennesseeans or Americans in Our Own Home?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by KenTenn, Jul 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think the outrage over this a stupid. An employee expressed interest in the training so they offered it. While there might be more useful training out there, to act like it is a slight is over the top IMO. I'm sure there are some thick accents on the campus that could benefit from tips on how to communicate in front of audiences in a way that more people find effective. I don't think people should ditch their accents, but avoiding regional phrasing can lead to more effective communication.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Good. I hate southern accents.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Appalachian accents rock, eh?

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I purposely reduced my southern accent. When I go back home for any length of time I catch myself reverting back to it.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is hilarious listening to my wife talk to old friends of her from when she grew up on Long Island. She immediately starts talking with a New York accent.

And anyone that gets angry about a class being offered to reduce a southern accent needs to stfu. They are not making you take it, and a heavy accent can be very detrimental to many jobs.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm in the same boat.

People still hear mine, but it'd blow their mind if I let them talk to my dad.

Mine definitely comes out more when home, though my grammar may be better than it was when I left :)

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I've intentionally retained mine and make it thicker when necessary.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Proving that there is no set formula for success.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

[video=youtube;3cQNkIrg-Tk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk[/video]

12. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

This...

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Absolutely. I think proper grammar has much more impact on success than does accent, but it certainly can play a part for good or bad.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Slurring words is also bad, bad practice as well. It's all about how you present yourself. I have a guy working for me right now that's bright and fairly articulate, but he presents himself poorly in dress and appearance. I hired him without having seen him. I probably would have anyway, but his appearance would have given me pause.

15. wildnkrazykat

Weird. I dreamed last night I was talking to someone and they literally said "didn't you ever take a grammar course, it would benefit you greatly". I was shell shocked

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

such wild n krazy dreams

17. wildnkrazykat

U know it. The difference between good and well is cray-zay

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Well, have you?

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I saw this on the local news program. No whitewashed accents there.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't have one that is detectable in the South, but folks other places notice a twang now and then. I do use all sorts of phrasings that are Southern. And don't plan on changing that.