North Carolina thing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Mar 25, 2016.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What is this? Apparently people are up in arms. NBA issuing a strongly worded maybe about possibly looking at potentially moving an All Star game.

I haven't read anything about the law, so someone educate me.

Does NC's new special session law make it illegal for private businesses to not allow transgender individuals from using the bathroom for the gender they identify with, or does it just put that on the individual businesses, and say that businesses can't be required to allow the practice?

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

My limited understanding is the law bans municipalities from passing laws forcing business to not discriminate (whatever that entails) against the LGBT communities. While I believe that all business should be allowed to discriminate however they see fit and run their business into the ground, this to me is another example of big government "conservatism". Someone truly a fan of smaller government would allow the local communities to pass the laws that best reflect their ideals and values rather than imposing an ideology down at the state level.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Like you, I haven't had time to research this thing in depth but will speak to my current understanding.

This thing was prompted by the city of Charlotte passing legislation allowing transgender folks to use the public restroom of the gender with which they identify. Apparently the law was poorly worded, but a lot of folks flat out disagreed with the legislation.

Where the major problems arise with the special session law is with scope (my opinion). Rather than simply addressing the Charlotte transgender bathroom legislation, it reached beyond in invalidating any and all local anti-discrimination laws in making it solely a statewide concern.

I need to read through a lot more, but my initial take is this is some really opportunistic, hateful stuff. I expect a lot of fallout is on the way. This thing happened really fast so many are not yet aware.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

A true fan of smaller government would not want locals passing laws concerning something like this either.

5. fl0at_

Isn't that just passing the government buck? At some point, government is doing something, either through law or ordinance, when it could just put on businesses, and allow consumers in communities to make their choice through their wallets.

6. fl0at_

Gcb, I think Georgis and other states are considering similar legislation.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If they are transgender, and are dressed and look like the sex they identify with, I don't understand the problem. Would you rather a dude have to use a female bathroom simply because he might not have all of his parts yet, but to the women in there, cannot tell the difference?

Or am I off base here?

8. gcbvol

I completely get the bathroom concerns. I believe them to be largely overblown, but I understand the concerns. The problem I have is using the bathroom deal as an opportunity to hate on GLBT folks in general. And that appears to be exactly what NC is doing. Seriously, why take the step to wipe out all local anti-discrimination protections for GLBT folks? I get we're all not going to like each other; that's a human thing. A state making a public declaration of sorts really brings the point home.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That's true, but city is the lowest level of government, so if anyone is going to do something like this, it should be them. The higher you go the more out of touch you become with your constituents. That being said, I'm more of a fan of voting through your wallet.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I could care less who I piss next by and think businesses should be allowed to make their bathrooms however the hell they want

11. gcbvol

The funny part in all this is you're forcing a fully transitioned person to use the bathroom of their birth gender. So you'll pretty much have men in women's restrooms and women in men's. Think about it - they're creating uncomfortable situations.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Exactly. Or, should they consider it, there might be some gay guy next to them in the bathroom, and you won't be able to tell. If you are that concerned about the whole thing, that to me is what you worry about. Because, you know gay is contagious.

13. fl0at_

The bathroom thing is dumb. But let's presume that the NC legislature makes this move purely to tie the hands of government and put it back into the hands of business.

Is it a bad thing to say we don't want government dictating to businesses what they do and don't allow on their property?

Basically, if the motive is trash, but the result is not... is it still trash?

Now, if the law is saying this is now the law, you are required to use the restroom of your birth gender, and businesses cannot allow otherwise, then both the motive and result is garbage.

I'm generally going to side with the side that promotes less discrimination, not more. So my natural instinct is to disagree with the law. But, if it just puts it on the business, then I say... Let's find out who wants my money, and who doesn't.

I already generally know where I stand with the Norh Carolina legislature. But Home Depot? Macy's?

14. fl0at_

The public bathroom stranger urination fetish is probably a rather low percentage, gay or not.

15. gcbvol

This is what it does. Applies to public accommodations. Are Macy's and Home Depot facilities considered public? I'm not sure.

16. fl0at_

I think in this context, yea, they'd be considered public use bathrooms.

If they are requiring that, and not allowing individual business to make its own decisions (I know they are saying cities can't override it), then they are overreaching, by a long shot.

17. gcbvol

And let me make this perfectly clear - I don't give the slightest f* about anyone else's junk when in a restroom. Taking care of business; nothing more.

No one implied otherwise, but I know there are people out there who think we're always scoping. So stupid.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That's assuming they put effort into it. We have two men who decided to be ladies here. One took the pills, developed boobs while still being a dude (nobody knew at the time), and finally started dressing that way. The other, simply wears women's clothing...5 o'clock shadow, hairy legs, and all. I completely understand why the women around here take issue with them using the women's restrooms. They knew both of them for years prior...you have to admit that's awkward.

19. fl0at_

A lot of that could probably be stopped by saying to the person: You like chicks right? "Of course." And you like to watch them pee? "Gross, no". So why in the hell would it be different just because they are gay?

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you talk to someone while you're in the bathroom you're doing it wrong anyways. No eye contact, no communication of any kind.