Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports' started by chavisut, Oct 13, 2012.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Just got a questionable call to win and are most likely headed to the top 5.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They haven't allowed an offensive touchdown in five weeks. They may be iffy on offense, but their D is LEGIT.

3. chavisut

The D is badass. Stuffed Stanford inside the one twice to win, although I thought Taylor was in on 4th.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Looked clear as day that he never stopped moving and got the ball over the plane to me.

5. Tar Volon

I can't tell whether or not his elbow hit. he definitely got the ball across the line, but his elbow was blocked by the defender's leg. Also, I'm pretty sure a whistle had blown--the line judge had already run halfway in to spot the play.

Either way, D is awesome.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Either way, the officiating was a joke at the end.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought one of his elbows was awfully close to touching.

8. Tar Volon

I dunno. It might've been the wrong call, but making the wrong call doesn't necessarily mean officiating is a joke. It was a really close play. Unless there was another bad call that I wasn't paying attention to.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

That last replay from the opposite side of normal camera views seemed to give it away that the ball crossed before his elbow could have hit. That, or his left arm is approximately 8 feet long.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I get that it's standard protocol to call it, but the "helmet to helmet" hit was a bit of a stretch. It was a bang bang football play. He wasn't intentionally leading with the helmet, it was just the way the play fell into place that it was that way imo.

11. Tar Volon

I missed that one. I was flipping between games.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

They had already blown the whistle before he "almost" touched. That's a joke.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It did irritate me how they showed about 14 angles where you couldn't see anything then right at the end showed the view with the runner actually visible. Would have been nice to get a few more looks at it.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, had they done that a few years ago Reggie Bush's last second TD to beat the Irish doesn't happen.

15. Tar Volon

Looked to me like his progress was stopped. I might've blown the whistle had I been officiating. Like I said, I get wrong, I don't get joke.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I get that, but at the goal line guys are pretty much always allowed a second effort.

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I want to reiterate though that in any other game the same call would have likely been made since it was a hit on the QB, but I still think there needs to be more of a gray area with those calls.

18. chavisut

They kept mentioning if he lost control of the ball but it rolled right into the arms of another Cardinal. Thought it was a TD either way.

19. Tar Volon

Yeah, they shouldn't have blown it. I just don't think it was egregiously bad, even if you usually expect to be able to go for the second effort after being stacked up.

Gotcha. That rule is called ridiculously. All the helmet/upper body safety penalties are. In the Boise/Fresno game, there was a roughing the passer for getting the QB in the shoulder. The shoulder!

20. chavisut

The ref did run in, but I never heard a whistle.

I hope SC drops 'em.