POLITICS NRA in financial trouble, per the NRA

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Aug 3, 2018.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Was also hoping someone would catch the subtle electron attracting positive in there. Sigh.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

And neither I'd a straw or brick, but both can be used as "weapons," without modification which I thought was what we'v been talking about-- the idea that something has a purpose thst I see as abstract, and you don't

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Both can be used as weapons, and when their purpose changes to be so, they are no longer what they were, they are now weapons. That isn't abstract. That is physical.

If I take a pen, and write with it, it's a pen. It's purpose is to write. If I take a pen and stab someone in the eye, was its purpose to write? No. Thus (in conclusion).

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

What physical change occurs? If I took a picture of two pens, one that had been used for writing and one that had been a shiv, would you be able to tell them apart if they are both in clean undamaged position?

5. fl0at_

When its purpose was no longer a shiv, it's purpose changed. Jesus son, you do understand progression, right? This is hardly a difficult concept.

A pen is a pen while it is used as a pen. If it is then used as a weapon, it is a weapon. After having been used as a weapon, it's back to a pen again.

This is called "state." At resting, a pen is a pen. A pen can remain a pen while not in a resting state so long as it is being used in a penly manner. The moment it is used for something other than a pen, its state, and thus its purpose, has changed. But it can return to its resting state, so long as its state has not been permanently changed.

This is the base philosophy of memory in a computer, or on a disk, or in any media. It started with finite state machines and progressed. The very thing you are communicating with me on here is an example of this very real process.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The disagreement here is that I am saying nothing physically changes about the object when the use, purpose, intent, changes that is external to the object and its. physical properties.

A hard drive and computer components DO undergo physical changes when used differently, in the form of platters being magnetized or demagnetized, or in the case of an ssd how electricity distributes through it. The pen remains the same. The different uses of a simple object doesn't compare to the different uses of a complex machine, unless the machine was being used as a static object without changing it (unpowered).

You might as well argue a mountain bike changes gears or different slopes. If I decided to instead use it as a boat anchor, did it's physical properties change? No. The purpose is abstract. The bike is just matter. Some agent utilized it, that agency isnt part of the bike. Or computer. Or hard drive. Or brick. It's from the mind of a person. Or a squirrel. Or the observer.

7. fl0at_

The physical properties do change. To be an anchor, you have to add a rope. A pen to a weapon has a physical property that is a component of thrust. Nobody writes in a jerking, stabbing motion. Those are physical properties. These are the same as the computer components. You've added a physical property to each, magnetism, electricity, etc.

A mountain bike that is built to have gears has under gone no changes because its purpose is to have gears, if it was built that way. If gears are added, a physical property has changed, and its purpose changes. Because now its purpose is to be a mountain bike with gears, when previously its purpose was to be a mountain bike without gears.

Did I miss any examples?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

A thrust? You mean a force being exerted from something other than the pen? The pen isn't thrusting, now is it? If you can get a pen to auto stab, let's hook that baby up to a rotor and generator. Free energy, from the physical property inherent to the pen!

Meanwhile, I'll be clutching the handle of a mountain bike while hanging off the side of a boat in shallow water, stubbornly using it as an anchor. I do not believe mountain bikes have gears that shift without input or power, but they certainly won't after being stuck in the lake.

9. fl0at_

Why do you imagine that someone adding animation to an inanimate object makes any difference? You are giving me a very common argument (that weapons don't kill, people do) for a reason why weapons should be banned? What argument do you believe you are making here?

Also, do you find that yourself is a physical property? So why do you find that adding yourself to a mountain bike is somehow proof against the physical?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, my body has physical properties. What's its purpose? (setting up a nice zinger here, but I sincerely don't get your position on a purpose being a physical property)

11. fl0at_

Right now, to annoy me. Hopefully later today the purpose is to drink beer, eat a good cheeseburger and attempt reproduction (hopefully for you, not hopefully for me... or probably even humanity). But at each stage, your purpose will change.

At some point today, my purpose is to get work done. I feel I will fail, but that will be my purpose. The production of physical labor. In that I will move my fingers, physically.

The reasoning is that we are physical beings in a physical world, therefore our purpose cannot be abstract. For if our purpose is abstract, while remaining physical objects in a physical world... that doesn't compute. It means our purpose is to be a thought. And the question there is... whose?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a distinction between a purpose and an action, is there not?

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Who knew that the NRA's financial woes could spark such deep philosophical discourse?

I sure hope there is not gonna be a test later.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A bullet leaves a gun in LA heading east at 2500 f/s. Meanwhile, a spitball leaves a straw in St. Louis heading west at 25 f/s.

What is the color of IPs beard?

15. fl0at_

There is.

16. fl0at_

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well shit. You win this round.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All I know is I come to this thread and you are talking bricks, and now I'm triggered.

warhammer and Poppa T like this.
  19. fl0at_

You are not yet over Butch. Let the hurt go.

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

7? Damn, trick questions. I was gonna say, orange.