POLITICS NY Republican Congressman Indicted for Securities Fraud

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Aug 8, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As the Dalai Lama said, be compassionate, but don't be stupid compassionate. You cannot give a guy your only shirt because he only has one and then you freeze to death.

I am sure Jesus would have told the masses "I have fed you, now look to your soul. It is what is truly starving and I have as much love as it takes."

I don't think he would have been angry. Just stern. Like a good parent.

The money changers were a different lot as they were basically robbing those that wished to make a sacrifice to God.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The argument about what constitutes “much” can get pretty complex. Most all Americans can be seen as wealthy if you compare them to the right foreigner.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You are not wrong at all.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The standard of measure for human dignity shouldn't be utter destitution and misery. The standard ought to be partly based on security, and the ability to recover. I'm not talking about sneakers or iphones. More like the ability to dress for a job interview or access applications online. In the us, those things are often possible in the right places. But healthcare is a serious gap. You can work 40 hours a week, pay for the best insurance you can afford, and still get [uck fay]ed. We have had members here who worked their whole lives and then get the run around when they finally really need some help. It's not right.

VolDad and JayVols like this.
  5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Correct; it is drilled into their heads by the Democratic party. They don't pay their fair share. You are where you are because they don't share the wealth, They are greedy. It is the Mantra of the Democratic Party.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Freaking free-loader not wanting to work your fair share.

kmf600 and JayVols like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well no, I don't think that is true at all. People make parties, not the other way around. People aren't being programmed, they'r being raised to go to college by any means necessary, getting in massive debt due to the means necessary, finding no way to meet the level of prosperity their parents or grandparents had at their age... that's exactly what got trump elected too. It's different reactions to the same problem. We grow up being led to believe that life is a meritocracy and hard work pays off. It's really not. Hard work is the cost necessary to roll the dice if you can't pay for that roll directly or buy a fast pass around it.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I love giving and helping people. It brings a joy very other things can. If you are a single mom doing all you can, I'll bend over backwards to help. If you are a kid who works hard, I'll bend over backwards twice.

What I detest, however, is that I am required to do something "just because", and that includes helping people. There are a lot of leeches that want others to take care of them while they do nothing. I detest enabling this behavior.

That, and I think the federal government is the most inefficient of all welfare there is.

kmf600, justingroves and VolDad like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm in the same boat. I'll help anybody, especially if they're willing to help themselves.

I do think the federal government is one of the most inefficient entities of all time.

Joseph Brant and zehr27 like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the federal government is misunderstood and can be opaque, because it must please so many competing interests

JayVols likes this.
  11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I will take a panhandler hanging outside McDonalds inside and tell them to order anything they want. They usually order something off the dollar menu.

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I hope you are just being dramatic. This is not true, anymore than people saying that the Mantra of the Republican Party is some equally hyperbolic claim.

Tribal sterotyping, profiling, blaming, whining solves nothing. It just makes one side mentally justify their behavior.

JayVols likes this.
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think Jesus would be a fan of "giving" by making others do it by force of government.

I believe in giving and taking care of your community, but save me the time by acting like doing it though the federal government is holy.

14. JayVols

I understand this. Completely.

I would just say again that regardless the method or mechanism, if actions reflect Christ's love and compassion, it's all good. We are fulfilling our call from God. He can handle the minute details & results, good or bad.

We (the group) aren't nearly as far apart as it may seem. I just try to focus on doing the right thing. I can't control what others do, nor am I required to do so. All I have to do is to try to reflect the love/compassion/mercy God & His Son has shown me. I fall far short. I'm not even in being worthy's galaxy. But I can try, and then let God handle the outcome.

15. JayVols

If I may, let me propose another way to look at it.

It may be, but the govt is looked toward to do the big things that only they can pool the resources needed to do it. See the space program/national defense.

There's no money in helping solve these huge problems, so the private sector isn't going to do it. Non-profits do what they can, but these type problems dwarf their resources to properly address. All that's left is for the govt to address it or to just not adress it at all.

16. JayVols

Just one (of many) example(s) why I know you are a good, decent man despite our often passionate disagreements.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think times are far different than in ancient times. Even the Romans knew they had to feed the masses and there was a form of welfare in Rome giving away bread.

It is far easier to be "take care of your own community" in a small, agrarian society. But in a modern sense, where cities have millions of people, I am not sure this is possible.

JayVols likes this.
  18. JayVols

Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto God what is God's.

I never claimed it was holy, but God uses things that aren't holy for his purposes all the time.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Great Post and I agree with you 100%. I will give folks money and if there is someone with me they will typically say, "You know that they are just going to take that money and buy booze or drugs". I explain that is not the point of my giving. They requested money for food or a shower. My giving is for that purpose and I choose to believe that is how they will use it. I have no control over what they actually do with it and if they conned me then that is on them and their God.

JayVols and Poppa T like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That seems to indicate there is some humility and shame there, imo. Some folks struggle to string together more than a handful of good decisions

JayVols likes this.