O&W Game Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 21, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Here are my thoughts after the game.

1. Micheal Palardy is the worst kicker in college football.
    2. O-line and running game appear to be decent, but nothing to run home about. Bottom half of the league.
    3. Barring injury, Devrin Young could be the kind of little scat/explosive back we have lacked for years.
    4. This team, is still at times bad without Justin Hunter.
    5. Tyler Bray is going to have a good year. I still question his approach to the game. It really appears to me that he just doesn't give a [uck fay].
    6. Defense missed several tackles. Didn't show much schematically however. Very vanilla, which is to be expected.
    7. Zach Rogers couldn't catch hypothermia in Russia.

I wasn't very pleased, but then again, I won't put a whole lot of stock into a spring game in which some of our better players missed.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Can I get a shout out for a John Becksvoort? Agreed on the open tryouts. Ridiculous.

3. JayVols

4. JayVols

Funny shit. VERY true, yet funny.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The only majorly disconcerting takeaway is the kicking. Everything else can be corrected with good coaching. (Cross your fingers).

JG is right about Neal. It is no wonder the end around is his bread and butter. He can completely avoid contact before running out of bounds.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The offense is going to be so inconsistent. There will be a few games where everything is clicking and it will look ridiculously efficient. Those days, Tennessee can score on anyone.

Then, when it's off, it will be easier to pull teeth than it will to be to score points. The run game is setting up to be either a loss of 3 yards or a gain of 10. Teams are going to zone the shit out of Tyler and make him pick apart a defense until Tennessee runs the ball consistently.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I agree Jo. The kicking game should be priority number one. We have the worst kicker in college football and I don't think I am over exaggerating

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

How funny is it going to be trying to sell a zone-read play with two QBs who aren't runners?

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Thats Jim Chaney for you. However, as we talked about today, SCar put on a zone read clinic on us without a very mobile qb. Shaw is more mobile than Bray, but I could see it working for us if the execution is there up front.

I am glad we are not exclusively shotgun. I was about to get plum giddy when we would line up in pro sets.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney is setting up the O for Peterman in 2014 imo iyam jmo

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Randolph did look very good. I believe between Jordan Williams, Willie Bohannon, Sentimore and Jacques Smith Tennessee will find a decent pass rush, especially if McCullers can eat up some blockers

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Crump is a solid #2 guy too.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

fyp

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Chaney won't be here in 2014.

15. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Kicking game sucks balls. Other than that, I would say this was visibly a better team than I saw last spring. Defensive depth remains a real issue.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Negavol imo iyam jmo

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Propst had a nice day as well.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think Bullock will be your kicker by October 1. I have no idea how Palardy can be so bad.

I've said it once and I will say it again, for the 2011 class Dooley should have gray-shirted Zach Sharp from Maryville and given him a full ride this upcoming year. We would have no kicking issues. He's got a much better leg than Brodus or Bullock.

Then again, I'm still wondering why Fulmer didn't offer Carl Stewart from Maryville in 2001 either.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is Bullock not already on the team? Thought he was an early enrollee. Did he get any action in the O&W game?

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Not an EE