Obama and free Jr. College

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jan 10, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, he was a funny guy.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's witty, but I was bored to tears learning about cultural stuff and central place theory. I'm all about that natural science, but major requirements make everyone take a mix.

3. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

if i recall correctly . . .

many ut class instructors (profs, assistants, whatever) would copy portions out of several different texts for the entire quarter (it was awhile ago.)

kinko's on cumberland would then make copies for everyone enrolled in the class and sell them for the costs of the copies.

i think copywrite claims ensued.

anybody remember this?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was well before my time, but that definitely happened because memos reminding people they couldn't do that and mentioning a series of legal issues were circulated annually. Also, copy shops like Kinko's close to campus were ridiculously suspicious about anything being copied from a book, to the point of having to do that in the library or in a department office because they'd tell you they couldn't let you do it.

I think there are specific rules about number of copies, and the max size of a selection you can distribute from a book. With articles from research journals, as long as the university has access to it (and it usually does), you can copy it in full and distribute it to classmates or students in a specific class.

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

i don't recall having cut/paste from different texts, but i sure as heck remember having to go to kinkos and pick up some course's lecture notes on more than one occasion... i really liked that. i was there 90-95 (minus one year abroad). 8th floor of clement hall was crazy back in those days..

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I had a geography professor who was a Vietnam vet. He retired from CSX and started teaching. We had a cheap book but hardly used it. He put together all his own material. Guy had more stories than anyone I've ever seen, by far the coolest professor I've ever had.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks like this is already going to cost 50 percent more than first predicted.

"Surprise, surprise, surprise."/ Gomer Pyle

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

But think about all the kids that will be walking around with worthless two year degrees, if they make it.

And to be fair, it isn't costing 100 or even 200 percent more than first predicted.

Yet

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

College for All:

We need the best-educated workforce in the world if we're going to compete effectively in the global economy. To do that, we must make certain that every person in this country who has the ability and desire can get all the education they need -- regardless of the income of their family.

That is why I'm introducing a revolutionary bill in the Senate which will end tuition at all public colleges and universities in the United States. This legislation will also significantly reduce the interest rate on student loans....

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/s/college-for-all?source=la150714-tuition

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He has good intentions, must be a good plan.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not sure I agree with him on a single thing he says, but he at least actually believe it instead of just political BS. I do respect that.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He does to a degree. He's raising a lot of money that could be used to feed the poor instead of a political campaign and Ben and Jerry's is one of his biggest sponsors while he's going on rants about too many types of deodorants being a market failure.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sweet jesus. would he even try to do this with a democratic congress or does he simply want the republicans to vote it down so he and the democrats can use it for political reasons?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

We could end world hunger for 70 billion a year. Many of us are complicit in not ending hunger.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm all for it by not using force

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

roughly $200-225 per American

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We throw away half of all food raised. That would be the first step in solving the problem. Most of that is due to irregularities that have nothing to do with the quality of the product by just the looks.