Obama - Normalizing Cuban Relations

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Dec 17, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Nixon went to China.

Opening the door to Cuba will speed up the changes we so desperately want and the people of Cuba so desperately need.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I just hope people don't think that China is fixed yet.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Of course not. But it is better off than closed-state North Korea.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[​IMG]

Step away from talk radio. The only thing distinguishing you from gsvol is that you haven't started spamming the site with outlandish political cartoons and repeated postings of an Obama picture where he has a cigarette in his mouth and is surrounded by flies buzzing around his face.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you mean the ones that have something of value that matters to the US? the ones that might prove of some strategic value over time?

I'll grant you that this isn't the stupidest thing this admin or an American admin has done.

I don't care one whit what we do vis a vis Cuba, because it means nothing to us either way.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I do not believe lifting the embargo will do anything to help the Cuban people. The Castro family will get richer and the average citizen will still be starving. And the people who say anything bad about the government will end up rotting in a prison cell.

Cuba has been stealing from the USA and helping anyone who they think is against us.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Tenny didn't make any argument regarding strategic value. It was in this moralistic tone of human rights violations and conspiring against us as an enemy over the years, which is ridiculous, since we have shown to care only about either when it suits us.

8. Unimane

Political dissent will continue to be an issue, but the flow of goods into the country will most definitely assist the average Cuban. I don't see how it could not. Are you thinking the two octogenarian Castros can horde all that shit for themselves and their cronies?

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Free trade is rarely a bad thing between countries

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I respect your consistency.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is silly. He said foreign policy action. How does that ever get out of the sphere of strategic value. That's the only metric - ever. All the other crap is just fodder.

We should only care when it suits us. Why would we do it differently.

12. Unimane

If you have issue with it, then direct it at Tenny. He said foreign policy and then cloaked his justification in moralistic terms.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I have issue with your comment. He cited moralistic, but his opening comment wasn't at all. Foreign policy isn't about enforcing our morals worldwide. Only the delusional buy crap like that. It's about strategy, period. Morality discussions are for those selling it and for those living atop ivory towers.

14. Unimane

His whole definition in his post was moralistic regarding the foreign policy. That's exactly how he defined the foreign policy objective there. You just chose to address me instead of him for whatever reason. Hell, I'm more in tune with what you're saying in that it's a waste of a policy and I would have embassies in every country, if possible, as I think disengagement is useless as a policy.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, it all makes more sense now. The burden of consistency or guiding principles does not exist for you.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't bother. You or I are put under his microscope, far more tenuous arguments that happen to find the same bottom line as him are ignored. He only cares when it suits him.

17. Unimane

I just find it odd (well, in one way) that his critique of the desire to enforce American morals abroad or use morality as a basis for foreign policy was put forth by Tenny. Yet, those points of attack were on hat and myself, both of us who had criticized that position. It's almost as if he can't criticize those of a certain viewpoint and had to use us by proxy. Nah, couldn't be that.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I got railroaded in the Ferguson thread after the grand jury decided not to indict for a position I never took. Just scarecrows and punching bags.

19. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Yeah that's exactly what happened.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

silliness. Any utilitarian approach would fall back of strategy as the overriding factor. Emotional silliness as your guiding principle is why you knee jerk into irrational approaches to economics.