Obama to ensure overtime for all

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, May 17, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some people don't get things until it happens to them.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the entire job requires a personal relationship. people take their finances, future, retirement, and estate very personally. there is no computer program that will ever be able to do everything I do. just like no computer program will replace teachers. if you think your guy is that easily replaceable, you need someone new.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and some people are right when they say nothing will happen to them.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And if this computer program, if on the phone, was completely indistinguishable from you or any other real person?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

When has safety been a part of it? It breeds complacency. Very European.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Then he'll have to market against it and if consumers find the automated better or more desirable, he'll be looking for work. That doesn't mean we should try to stop it

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'll be long dead before that is possible. then skynet will take over.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if things can truly be that automated then we probably won't have to work at all as a society and we will all live comfortably.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Holy hell, you suck.

10. NorrisAlan

I am not saying we should stop it. On the contrary, we need to be preparing for it.

11. NorrisAlan

I used to think the same thing, but advances are being made far faster than people thought were possible. I assume you are close to my age (I am 46), so you and I probably won't be affected too badly before we are close to retirement age anyway.

But my kids, and almost assuredly their kids, will have to deal very heavily with this.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No one else has had to fight and claw for what they have. It's been gifted to everyone who's financially successful.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm 39, but we were supposed to have flying cars by now and be living on the moon. I think my kids will be fine.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how do you suggest we prepare for it?

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Canned food and ammunition.

16. NorrisAlan

This is different. That was pure speculation with no basis in the then current technologies.

Companies have already developed software that answers phones, takes orders, etc. A few years ago, it was getting 1 out of 10 calls correct. They have quickly gotten that up to 6 out of 10 calls. So we obviously have some track record with this, vs sky cars and moon buggy rides.

And as to how to prepare for it? I do not really know. But I think a lot of people simply think it is not an issue or it won't affect them (not a shot at you). It needs to be discussed, hashed and brought to the forefront of policy (private and public). Eventually I think a guaranteed income will be a requirement.

EDIT: And KPT forgot water filters and salt.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Figures.

Retirement it is.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

$47k salary pretty much takes care of the value thing, no?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and in general americans hate said software. I don't care how good a computer gets at teaching, i'm not sending my kids to a school taught by robots. the human touch will always be required for many industries. and for those industries that aren't in that category people will either adapt or die, just like every other new technology in history. nothing we don't policy wise will change or help this "problem."

20. NorrisAlan

And my father in law never used direct deposit until the Social Security department made him. And he, to this day, refuses to use an ATM or a debit card.

Will your children or their children have the same aversion you have? We just don't know.

And I am not willing to just say "adapt or die" when half the population might be potentially involved.

EDIT:

And said software will before too long be indistinguishable from a human over the phone through the new programming techniques.