Off season assistant carousel

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jan 3, 2020.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Shelton Felton to coach ILBs

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Isn't that where Nieds moved to?

3. BigOrangeBeech

Should be OLBs for Felton, my bad

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Really depends on the situation. You got a “rats leaving a sinking ship” feeling when Dooley turned over his whole damn staff after 2011 (even though he ended up massively upgrading one assistant). Losing a couple guys on expiring deals and keeping the biggest names on the staff seems like a lot more of a targeted improvement plan.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

We weren't a top 25 defense and 8 win team, either.

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Meh, Rumph, Rocker and Sherrer didn't recruit...bye

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The 2 defensive replacements are a bit underwhelming. I do think Pruitt has who he really wants or these hires would not have been made so fast so that makes me feel better.

8. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Pruitt and Ansley are confident enough in their scheme/coaching abilities to risk downgrading in position coaching but upgrade in recruiting. My 2 cents.

9. BigOrangeBeech

The proof will present itself. We have a shot with several top recruits, specifically on the defensive side this cycle. We'll see what they can get done.

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Need Thurman Murman for the DL.

11. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Rocker was even trade with a guy who wants to at least try to recruit.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

How do you know they're a downgrade? They may be excellent young coaches who are hungry and eager to recruit but just don't yet have the shiny resume. The guys they're replacing weren't justifying the big check they were getting.

IP likes this.
  13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

At first glance, I like the hires. There are only so many big name position coaches out there. I’ll trust Pruitt ATP too.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The coaches that remain from his Year 1 staff?

Friend, Moose, Weinke and who else? I’m sure there are more, but not many.

That’s a helluva staff turnover for a first time head coach whose heading into his 3rd season.

That gives me big confidence, tbh. If you’re not getting what you want, cycle’em through until you do, IMO. So many young head coaches crave the stability of keeping a staff together, and fail to realize that they’re only making a comfortable ride to unemployment.

I believe that Jeremy Pruitt is sincerely committed to winning, and most importantly, seems willing to do what it takes to achieve it, whatever that means. I’m super encouraged by it.

utvol0427, zehr27, warhammer and 2 others like this.
  15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Also, I don't think staff turnover makes him uncomfortable. He came from a program where the staff turns over on a year to year basis and continues to maintain a standard of winning.

Tenacious D and Memtownvol like this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He wouldn't be the first coach at Tennesse who had success and wasn't afraid to shake up his staff.

17. BigOrangeBeech

As long as there is compentecy at the top, it will flow down to other places.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So how is Weinke still around? From what I've gathered he's average, at best, at his position and doesn't recruit for shit. Am I off?

InVolNerable likes this.
  19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I've gotta think Chaney likes him.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yep. Gotta have a great HC, great coordinators, and great S & C. O-Line improved last year even though Friend was still there. That’s Cheney vs Helton. Obviously with Pruitt OC is more important

After that I think you mostly just need hard working energetic recruiters.

Tenacious D likes this.