Offensive Coordinator Jim Chaney quotes

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Okay, so a good offense shouldn't be running it (frequently?). Still, there was a point there where it was the only running play that gained us yards and people were screaming to stop using it.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Other than a few good runs from Rogers, I remember it being a failure. Also, the lack of a PA off of it for the longest time was puzzling.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

No, instead of a PA from it, he decided that he would run the same exact play three times in a row

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what pissed me off. There's nothing wrong running once in awhile but mix it up

5. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Especially when you are trying to run this counter WR sweep against good defenses with the speed to be able to blow it up when they know its coming. My main issues with Chaney is play calling, more times than not, I know what play is coming from watching in the stands, stop I know the other team knows. We run the same damn play every time in certain formations.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I was torn in 2010 with the overall success of it because of this.

As for PA - the safeties never came up. I kept waiting for it to, and the safeties never bit. It was a source of much angst until I started paying attention to it. No doubt there was a post just waiting to be ran off of it.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

To clarify, perhaps I should have said that I hope to never see more than 1 jet sweep per game. I am with JG. Running it 3 plays in a row when not that effective just screams bush league. If you can't come up with something better than that, we should just quick kick on 2nd or 3rd down.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The issue was how long it took to develop, and add the fact that we couldn't run for shit up the middle, so no body gave a shit about the fake.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Exactly. Wasted play given what you pointed out. You don't get enough plays in college football to waste that many. If they had a home run play that they were setting up by running it repeatedly, I would understand a little. I never saw such a play.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

All legitimate complaints. I'm with Jay in saying that I would've liked it a lot more had we a homerun play that we used it to set up. But I do remember it still gaining a solid 5-8 yards most times we ran it in the 2010 season, and we used it to get the first down that salted the game away against Kentucky (in what I thought would be their best chance to beat us for some time). So I was glad we could get something with it, even if I would've liked to be better in a lot of other areas

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Patriots considering replacing Belichick with a better public speaker.