Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He definitely has his drops but he's a higher percentage play than most of what we have in the playbook.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How do you think Mike Martz would do with Tyler Bray?

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"He's got a broken thumb ya'll. He's nowhere near ready."

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Leach if it was just to run the offense, but I'd say he will be offered another head coaching job soon.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'll pass on Pirate Mike.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tyler would be broken in half by the third game.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Mike Leach.

8. kidbourbon

Why?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We've already saw what he does in the SEC.

10. kidbourbon

That's probably because such a theory -- i.e. we can't run the ball well because Poole simply isn't any good at football -- is about as plain as day.

The running back makes the OL look good much moreso than vice versa.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's true but the OL is still a cluster[uck fay] in regards to runblocking.

12. kidbourbon

Yeah, increasing Kentucky's scoring threefold in his first year on the job was such a bummer. And then increasing it again his second year on the job such that it was -- to the best of my knowledge -- the highest PPG offense Kentucky had ever had was also a real bummer. I guess the person who hired him to be the OC for Oklahoma the following season must have been highly misinformed.

I'm actually not even sure if your comment was intended to be serious. Was it?

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Did he win anything worth a damn there? No. Has he ever won anything worth a damn? No. He was at Oklahoma for one year.

He's got people snowed because his offense looks cute. It doesn't win rings. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. I do not care that he has guys throwing for 4,000 yards. He's also got those guys attempting 600 passes. He's going to put up gaudy stats.

I want wins. I do not care about stats.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

(I sense Hat is about to come down hard in this thread, but nevermind).

Let's say I agree with most of what you say, jg, and I think I do. But what if he was just an offensive coordinator, was paired with a great d-coordinator, and a head coach that could manage him. You told him if he ever agreed to an interview, went on the recruiting trail, or got within 100 yards of a storage shed, you would fire him on the spot. But you just let him coach his unit and do his thing... it would be explosive right? For all the negatives of Mumme/Leach that system has basically taken over the high school game and a lot of college. There is something to it...

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Really? I don't see too many high schools passing the ball 45 times a game.

I think, at least in the short term, Leach wouldn't be a good fit. Not enough receivers (think Zach Rogers on the field for every play) at the moment. Thin defense that gets tired enough as it is - think how they'd do if we drug the game out with a 90% pass offense?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In Tennessee's case, they don't have a great DC or a HC that can manage either IMO.

In theory, this should work. Not being able to send him out to recruit would be a huge drawback, I would think. The Mumme/Leach system works for teams that don't have a lot of talent, but it fails to win the LOS. You can't win close ball games by going on 45 second scoring drives. There is a time for grinding out wins. The Leach/Mumme system doesn't do it. We've all seen various versions of the run and shoot fail time and time again when it goes against a good D.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's quite a few that throw 20+ times. Add twelve minutes to the gameclock and it would be around 35 times.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I like Chad Morris, but not with Bray at QB. His offense doesn't necessarily require a running qb, but its best with someone who is mobile enough to be a threat and give them 30 to 40 yards per game on the ground.

Current HC's are off the table, and I hate to drudge up some old shit, but I think Kiffin would be a great OC for this squad next year. Same goes for Petrino.

He's struggled this year at Florida, but I could see Weis doing well with Bray and those receivers.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Let me restate. Almost every high school team I have seen play the last five years runs either some version of a spread, whether it is Mumme/Leach, the Urban Meyer zone read, or the Nevada system. Obviously there is great variation in those schemes, but the principal of "getting guys in space" remains. From time to time I still see some option teams, but that is much more rare. I think Quarles at Maryville still has a basic pro-style system, but from seeing games in person and watching film on Tennessee recruits, I rarely see pro sets anymore.

Maybe JayVol can add more to this discussion.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Like I said, I largely agree with you. In a conference not named the SEC, Leach is good for an automatic 8-9 wins just because they will outscore most teams in a shootout.