Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think people focus way too much on running backs in FF. WRs are just as important and starting qb nearly as so.

there is often such a run on rbs, I make it a point to snag my choice of other positions and make up the rb gap other places or in free agency. rbs are not what they once were in fantasy

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Depends on whether it’s a ppr league or not. A good pass catching back like Kamara or McCaffery can carry a team in a ppr.

IP likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

After realizing half way through our draft that we were a non ppr league, I decided to do one more league, just to see how my draft rating came out when I actually knew the rules.

I did my second draft on ESPN, which apparently offers no draft analysis or grades or any sort of feedback on how you did.

That was annoying because the only reason I really did it was to see how well I’d draft. So I started a third league, this time with Yahoo, so that I could get the draft analysis I was looking for in a league where I knew the rules.

I enjoy the drafting significantly more than the games/matchups themselves.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Draft grades are just regurgitation of their player rankings, relative to the round in which you acquired them. they're meaningless in many cases, as they are only as good as this season's outputs mirror the preseason expectations

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know that. But the season is based so much on luck. Getting Saquon Barkley in the 2nd round was a HUGE win..... until he tore his ACL this weekend. At least with the draft grades, they’re based on something concrete in the moment that they occur.

I can’t control who gets injured or who performs throughout the season, so I enjoy the draft results/grades.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I like RBs because their points are more consistent. Seems like with WRs its feast or famine. I'm in a 2 QB league so there's always a sprint to get those.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like RBs can be just as feast and famine, outside of the top 3 or 4. All positions have a falloff point from the elite, and a wide plain of the "good to okay". If 4 or so RBs are off the board, why not get first pick of Wr? if nothing but WR and Rb have been picked for two solid rounds, my second or third pick is getting first crack at QBs- though with this group, I should wait longer because y'all LOVE running backs so [dadgum] much. every year, I can't believe how many people draft 2 rbs in 2 rounds

8. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

This is basically why I don't plan my drafts anymore and just wing it for the most part.

Depending on what players are taken and what talent is available at each position in each round, the mock draft you had in your head can completely change. I will say that I do usually end up taking a TE early though since the falloff from the elite is pretty drastic outside of 2 or 3 players at that position....at least in regards to good consistent point totals each week.

From a strategic standpoint, I think it can be argued that having a deep quality roster can be just as valuable as having two great running backs. Case in point: this past weekend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    IP likes this.
  9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Running backs also used to be worth a lot more across the board in fantasy 10 or so years ago when there were way more bell cow backs.

These days most teams in the league are splitting up carries in some form or another with other backs on the roster.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

and if any back gets injured, the backup does almost as well so someone else ends up with early round production off of a last round pick

Duckman likes this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Anybody remember Yahoo back in the day when it used to be 20 yards for a point, no fractional points. So it was pretty much whoever scored the most touchdowns won? We should bring that back.

Duckman and IP like this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I took each of my 2 RB’s when I did because I thought it was PPR. Literally the only reason.

13. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I have no idea how I snagged both McKinnon and Mike Davis considering I had the 7th spot on the waiver wire.

I thought for sure they would both get snatched up last night before I got to them.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I already have 5 RBs plus Leveon on IR. Just need my top 3 picks to get/stay healthy and I feel OK about my roster.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think a flaw in my draft strategy may end up thinking I needed an early qb pick for elite qb production. it's early, but it looks like there are a lot of guys capable of scoring 25 or more points most weeks

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah I wanted to go after a RB this week due to opportunities that injuries opened up on the wite - but I couldn’t really manage it in my roster. Like my bench. I needed to work on WR.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How does them postponing this game affect fantasy?

18. TennTradition

I was thinking it would be a forfeit so I made fantasy moves last night to cover my holes. I’m not sure. Have they said when they’ll try to play?

If they can play on Monday then no issue. Not sure about Tuesday thiugh.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't understand how the nfl didn't have a defined contingency for this situation

20. TennTradition

I don’t understand how fantasy leagues didn’t offer an extra COVID IR spot for this. Haha

I didn’t want two General IR spots but maybe I should have.

IP likes this.