Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’ve got a solid record in one league with McCaffrey riding the bench all season. I should start absolutely wrecking folks when he comes back next week.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

NYG scores. But controversial pick up a flag no PI call on the 2 pt conversion likely cost me the game.

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

When I say the value-based drafting leaderboard is dominated by RBs year after year, that's including all of the injuries. Pick a year and see for yourself:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/vbd.php?year=2019

Everyone gets injured. Football is violent. The list of WR injuries starts with Michael Thomas, Davante Adams, Julio Jones, Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin, AJ Brown, Calvin Ridley, Odell Beckham, etc. And those are just the stars; if I included average rotational players like Fournette, the WR list would be twice as long as Indy's.

If you need an early pick to get a good RB, while at WR you can get someone like Anderson/Fulgham/Higgins/Jefferson/Aiyuk (or last year, AJ Brown/Chark/McLaurin) without drafting them at all, that seems like more reason to take RBs early. Loading up on middle-round WRs, and then adding these undrafted guys later, leaves a lot of teams with 6 WRs who are all the same and no RB.

I'm also saying this as someone who lost Saquon immediately after taking him #2 overall. Russell Wilson + Barkley would have been fun.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

but there is an uncontrollable, unknowable risk that is higher for that position. I'm not saying it isn't an important position, I'm saying it doesn't warrant more than 20 running backs being drafted by the early third round.

5. NashVol11

For us, RBs were 12 of the first 20 picks and 16 of the first 30, which may actually make us slightly less RB-heavy than that VBD list. I probably would have gone WR in the third, but I didn't expect Jonathan Taylor to still be there after Mack was out for the season.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

alright. my perception maybe off, I recalled a huge run on RBs, which I attempted to buck.

7. NashVol11

7 of the first 8 were RBs, but they were mostly the Cook/Kamara types that still tend to be the MVPs. I completely agree with taking someone like Hill over the next tier of RBs, and you seem to have done a good job addressing RB later.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

my biggest error of the season was picking a qb at least 1 round early. he wasn't as better than the field as I had hoped, and a run on QBs never really happened.

9. NashVol11

Wilson has definitely bailed me out a few times. There was a run, but yeah it happened a little later; I had picks 42 and 59 and decided I'd rather get Wilson/Watson/Murray at 42 than end up with Matt Ryan or someone at the later pick.

I wish I'd gotten Diggs or Ridley in the 4th instead of David Johnson, but I think I had Kupp/Chark ranked highest at WR and wasn't excited about them. I've also traded away a few people that are looking good right now.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Surprisingly, Lamar Jackson has been pretty underwhelming as well. I thought his rushing ability would make him a great pick, and, to be honest, I didn't mind picking him a bit early since I live in Baltimore.

That said, the only truly solid RB's left on the board at that point were Chris Carson (been injured), Raheem Mostert (been injured), Todd Gurley, and Miles Sanders (been injured), so I'm not sure how much going with another RB would have helped me. There were WR's available, but I've got plenty of those. So maybe Jackson was truly the best choice at that point? Still, my back up (Justin Herbert) is projected to score more points than Lamar this week, so maybe it was a bad choice.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, in my defense, I 100% thought this was a PPR league. Not sure how my results might have turned out differently had I known the correct rules, but I definitely made my first 8 or 9 picks with that in mind. That's why I, for example, took Robert Woods in the 5th round when I could have gotten him later. It has worked out okay, but I definitely can't say I would have made the same decisions had I known the rules.

12. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Really interested to see how that Antonio Brown signing plays out in the coming weeks.

13. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

About as well as the Leveon Bell signing with the Jets .

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wow, no idea how it happened, but I think I just won my game this week by .72 points.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Just a wild guess, but it probably happened by scoring .72 more points than your opponent.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Then how did I win by 4.04 points? 404. Points not found.

In my other league without fractional points, there's been 2 ties. I'm 5-2-2.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. I was saying I had no idea where the points came from. Like, I don’t know what happened in the game to give me that lead.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yards, touchdowns, etc.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Actually think it might have been on defense.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In my ESPN league, I am so stacked at RB. I have:

1. Christian McCaffrey - Came back from injury last week. Is doubtful this week but should be fine the following week.
    2. Mike Davis - some moron dropped him after McCaffrey came back last week. Easy, obvious pick up for this week.
    3. James Robinson - Picked him up earlier in the season after the draft. He's averaging 6th most points per game.
    4. Joe Mixon - Coming back this week after a few weeks out
    5. Nick Chubb - Expected back this week after extended time out. Not sure why someone dropped him, but I picked him up 2-3 weeks ago.
    6. Raheem Mostert - Could be back this week but will likely come back week 12 after the bye. I picked him up this week (no idea how he was available)
    7. Austin Ekeler - Been out for a while. Could be out for rest of season, or could come back as early as next week.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that I could go into the 12th week of the season with 6 legitimate RB1 type players. And even if I wanted to trade one or multiple, I don't know who I'd go for. I have Allen Robinson and Keenan Allen at WR and Aaron Rodgers at QB. My TE, Hunter Henry, is pretty average, but I'm not sure who, outside of Kelce, I could try to trade for that could guarantee consistently better results.

Just a weird situation, considering how bleak my RB outlook is in our league.