Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Unless IP can score about 30 tonight vs my 10, looks like I’ll take the last playoff spot. After being in first a few weeks ago. Over that period, I’ve lost to the league’s high scorer at least twice. But happy to hopefully be backing in, haha.

Who is Dickson Fire? Your team looks scary.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's @dknash ... He kicked my ass this week. Might have the hottest team in our entire league. Davante Adams and Stefon Diggs have been about as automatic as you can get at WR lately, and Aaron Rodgers is having an MVP caliber season. Throw in David Montgomery averaging 136 yards/game the past 3 games (by far his best stretch all season) and scoring 4 times in the same span, along with Miles Sanders as a wild card, and that team is stacked.

dknash and TennTradition like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looking back, I had a couple of close games where had I worked the wire harder early or changed the line up a little, I would have squeaked through now. So this year, it was entirely in my control and I just didn't do enough. My initial draft haunts me in one particular aspect: I KNOW I could have drafted someone besides Mahommes second round and then gotten him in the 3rd or even 4th, which means an upgrade at RB most likely which would have probably made the difference in the close games. Very big mistake, but something to learn from.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think you're in the playoffs if they count that Tyreek Hill TD. That's the definition of shit luck.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

if I put in my best possible lineup this past week, I am probably in too. in the end, we have a lot of control and little knowledge of the future.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Meh. You could say stuff about your lineup or your opponent's lineup every single week.

Bottom line is that you did what you needed to do to get in. A TD that was 100% a TD wasn't called a TD, and the points you should have received but didn't were enough to push you over the edge for playoffs. Shitty.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not tempted so easily yo the dark side. I have free will. i chose to bench Hunt.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There's nothing dark about looking at things logically. If you want to cite benching Hunt, then you'd have to look through every single lineup in every single week of the season. There were probably other weeks where you lost because you started the wrong player(s) or won because your opponent started the wrong player(s). You can't just pick out 1 single example of that and say it was the difference.

Whereas there is only one example of Tyreek Hill catching a 40+ yd TD pass from Mahomes, which was worth 18 points to you at the time, and it being incorrectly called incomplete. You got boned.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is completely logical to focus on the only thing I can control: my actions. I already went back to early lineups and even the draft, in the previous post. I actually didn't leave many points on the bench this year in games I lost, which is nice. I don't focus on my opponents' decisions at all because I have no control of them-- unless I can hedge against their players, like having two comparable receivers and choosing the one on their QB's team as a hedge. But that isn't something to be retrospective of, since it was a calculated decision with two otherwise comparable options at the time.

I didn't pick one example. There are several I have pointed out now where I made decisions that led me to where I am. I think a BIG one is that draft decision which I immediately had second thoughts about when nobody touched QB's for so long after. Another one was just being too complacent with TE's in general. I should have been beating the wire for one. The one I have now is great, bet I could have gotten him earlier.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That Nick Chubb TD getting called back could be the difference between me winning my playoff game in a league this week.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

[uck fay] RIGHT. He still scored, and I ended up with more points because of the penalty. Hell yeah.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

And someone else lost because of the penalty and more points, and is pissed.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Someone, somewhere.

Sucks for that guy.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

GG, TT. I was kind of worried about being exposed to the Packers if they had a down week passing.

But I would be remiss without saying that if I'd played Noah Fant instead of Gronk, I would have won. So it was totally luck.

Or, hell, benching Davante for Jarvis Landry would have been enough. 100% luck.

InVolNerable and IP like this.
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Damn. That’s some Indy level bad luck.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah I kept going back and forth between starting Moore or Cooks. Went with Cooks and that cost me about 10 points, but got away with it. Good game. Your team had been seriously producing so I was happy to get the W.

I have Adams in my PPR league. Would have lost this week but made last minute decision to pick up Pollard with Dallas and start him over Lockett. Given Adams’ down week, that move saved my week and I was able to make the championship in both of my leagues.

If he can hold his current lead, I’ll actually play my uncle in the 8th championship.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think I'd prefer a mixture of the Yahoo and ESPN's systems for playoffs.

I like that Yahoo cuts the playoffs off before week 17, using week 15 for first round and week 16 for championship, because it avoids issues with teams resting their starters. But I also like that ESPN uses two week match ups for each of the two rounds, as it seems to favor the "better team should win" idea. You can have a down week in week 1 of the match up and still make up for it in the second week, which I think is a cool concept.

Ideally, I'd like to see 2 week matchups that begin in week 13, allowing the championship to end in week 16. I'm a bit surprised this isn't being done already.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

us starting a week late kind of closed some doors

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I didn't consider that. How would playoffs have normally worked in our league, had we started in week 1?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

depends on how many people, sometimes we have a wildcard playoff round with 2 more people and byes for the top seeds, still finishing week 16. iirc.