Old Orange V-O-L-S Letters in South Endzone

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 12, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Does anyone know where these are now? I saw they are going to have the white ones at Vol Village tomorrow, but they can't hold a candle to those orange ones. Just made me wonder where they were.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not where they belong, that is all I know.

InVolNerable, utvol0427 and A-Smith like this.
  3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The 1980-1998 letters were awesome.

utvol0427, Poppa T and Savage Orange like this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe they were bought last year

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My buddy and I had our first season tix (4) under the "O", 6 rows from the top. We referred to them fondly as the 'O'zone.

One of the most memorable games was the Shuler Flood game against Florida. We took our sons. Upper deck looked like a waterfall. We hunkered down under my heavy duty military-issued poncho and still got soaked to the bone. Good times.

reVOLt and kmf600 like this.
  6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I remember the other end of the spectrum... the UCLA game that field temps were 120 degrees and Smokey died from the effects of heat exhaustion not long after... people were surrounding forklifts bringing pallets of ice in and basically stealing them to take to friends and family members in the stands. My (then) 80 year old mother just about fell out too... we won, but that was probably the worst game I ever attended at Neyland. We were near the big letters and I remember wondering if the plastic would soften and they’d fall out. Dumb, I know but heat does crazy things to your mind...

reVOLt and Poppa T like this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I remember that game. It was brutal. I think we saw more drunks tumble down those steep azz steps than usual. Somebody would stand up and start down and we would look at each other and say ... "Yep, he's not gonna make it."

My mother doesn't like high places. She hated those seats. She said once everybody was packed in she felt ok, but she would not stand up unless everybody stood up.

We bought 4 season tix (seat back chairs under cover) in YY9 in 1996. They moved our 4 Ozone seats to QQ when they put up the Jumbotron. We were grandfathered and kept because no donation was required.

I love football in Neyland. Nothing like it.

MaconVol and justingroves like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

120 on the field?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

my lord, the daily beacon says 140 degrees on the field. [uck fay] astroturf

justingroves likes this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Funeral services to follow.

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I forgot the name of the turf from that time period (89-93) but I believe it’s main benefit was that it didn’t breakdown as badly due to weather and player wear and tear. As unforgiving as it may have been, the playing surface of Neyland Stadium never looked better in-person or on television than it did during that stretch. The colors popped and the yard markers were clearly defined.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

humans can't play football in 140 degrees. the dog literally died.

but the field looked good.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tough call.

kmf600 and justingroves like this.
  14. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

You don't say...

IP likes this.
  15. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was at that game in the end zone facing the sun. People passing out around us. It was brutal.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yes. The stuff we got in Viet Nam era wasn't high tech, but the poncho was big enuff for my son and I to get under.

17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The dog didn’t die. He misremembered the events. The obvious problem of the turf was the life altering effects that it had on knees and ankles.

Now go eat some tree bark/silage you [uck fay]ing hippie

18. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Well nothings changed because the ponchos still suck

Poppa T likes this.
  19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Lol. I told myself it was because, it was 20+ years old. I finally threw it way after I used it as a rainfly and the fire embers popped up and burned holes in it.

20. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Nope. All they've done is change the color with the uniform changes lol. IF it's brand new, it'll work the first time you use it, MAYBE. After that though it doesn't work.

Poppa T likes this.