Old White People Still Love Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Right, the only people who watch the sport are old white people, youth participation steadily declines, and the sport is totally healthy. Okay.

2. kidbourbon

Yup.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Youth participation is down? As usual you spout off about shit you have no clue about. It's your MO around these parts. Kudos for consistency.

4. kidbourbon

Yes, it is.

5. kidbourbon

Save your tone for when you're right, ****.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...a36dca-d7e8-11e4-8103-fa84725dbf9d_story.html

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You're missing what I'm saying. Those issues aren't, necessarily, the reasons people don't like the sport because there are sports, like baseball and basketball, that possess all or some of those issues, yet are still popular. The difference is a sport like soccer is that the game is a continuous flow of action where the only real element of determining success or failure is the score. On the other hand, sports like football, baseball and basketball have continuous small "competitions" within the game in addition to the overall score. I know that a 7 yard run on first down is a good play as is a strike or three point basket. What is there is soccer? I think, to most Americans, they see the continuous loop of action and observe that a lot of nothing is happening. Conversely, I think most Europeans see American sports and see a lot of aggravating start-stop action as opposed to the continuous action they prefer.

I'm fine with both, but my response wasn't predicated on personal preference.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

when I started seeing high-level soccer matches in person, the thing I was most surprised by is how physical it is. I don't know if a lot of people realize that.

9. kidbourbon

Show me where youth participation in baseball is up.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

11. kidbourbon

"The Losing Edge" is a solid South Park episode.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't know if it is or isn't, but I know little league doesn't drive it like it once did.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Men's soccer is physical. You know it if you played it.

But it isn't football or hockey, so BPV's points still stand.

I don't care what the droskis of America say. I like the sport and I'll watch a match. That being said, random soccer match vs random football game, I'll take random football game.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not even trying to knock soccer here because I have more appreciation for the skill level now, but I'd actually rather watch baseball, curling, snowmobiling, winter x games...

I never get an edge of the seat moment watching soccer - ever - even when I have a rooting interest.

Curling, OTOH, gets exciting when it's coming down to the hammer and some screaming loony in bad pants is telling dude with a broomish mop to scrub harder.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'll take a random kick in the balls over a random soccer game.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not even in World Cup with USA? That one gets me in full GI JOE mode.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That could get out of hand on some Saturdays.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I can get full on jingoistic in any international competition. I still don't look at WC games the same way I do any olympics. I'm all over some olympic synchro swimming when the time comes.

Hell, I might like DeBord after all.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Who gives a shit what someone else likes? I like baseball whether Kid or Tenny like it, or not. I'm also sure KB doesn't give a damn if I watch tennis.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

DeBord wanted the orange squad to wear red jerseys with the hammer and sickle on their helmets.