Old White People Still Love Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed, but this is more about where the sport is going in terms of popularity. I don't mind people enjoying baseball. Heck, I visit MLB stadiums in any city with one even though I don't care that much for baseball. But there is a potential problem for baseball in the future.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Yep, it's all baby boomers showing up at the ballparks. Sure thing.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You don't get on the edge of your seat when you recognize strong build up play that is leading to a chance or even a goal? Once I started watching more, I started to see when things were going to happen, and I find it exciting.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. The more you watch it, the more you get the nuances and the build-ups. It isn't for everyone, however.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Was at the Reds Cubs game yesterday. There were all kinds of people there. I think it might have been family day or something though. Not sure what that means.

I will say this. I think I'd go to baseball games a lot more often if a decent sized cup of decent tasting beer wasn't $13 and I didn't have to pay $5 for a small bag of peanuts. I can eat 5x that many peanuts for free at some restaurants. Hard to justify spending that sort of money. I know money isn't really an issue for some people though.

6. hatvol96

You do realize Little League has been losing participants to other providers and travel teams for going on 30 years? I mean, you are an all knowing piece of shit who touts a country club sport like tennis as meaningful so I assume you have all meaningful data when you talk out your ass. Now, go try to pick up some college girls at the library. Or, even better, eat a bullet.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agreed, but many of the soccer lover types try to convince you that it's either because you don't understand the sport or are unsophisticated (not talking about uni or IP btw). it's a free country. if you want to waste your time with that boring garbage it's none of my business, but don't pretend it makes you superior to the rest of us.

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Little league is for scrubs

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

There are 81 home games in baseball and they play in large stadiums. The quality of home entertainment has improved so much over the last 10 years that it must be difficult to sell that many tickets in a season. Of course the NFL will sellout games as their fans only have 8 (regular season) chances to see them at home games. I could see MLB stadiums get smaller going forward but I don't think there is an issue with their popularity.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This isn't completely up to date but the trend is baseball losing fans more quickly than other sports (btw this is a Canadian survey):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Show me where youth baseball participation is doing something other than declining.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that doesn't necessarily translate to future attendance. the youth participation rate for soccer has been high for my entire lifetime.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

interesting:

[​IMG]

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

and then there's the types like you who call it "boring garbage"

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Across all topics, you are unable to decipher graphic depictions of data.

EDIT: thought you said it wasn't declining much, guess not. My apologies.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  16. hatvol96

Imagine that. Baseball losing fans in a country they pulled a team out of. [dadgum] shocking.

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Baseball is the new country club sport.

18. hatvol96

Also lots of shitty rich kids who can't do anything else out there swatting tennis balls.

19. hatvol96

Sure it is. Lots of Cubans and Dominicans in country clubs.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

With increasing amounts of specialization in youth sports total participation can decline and it not matter.